This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
My NGO acted as fiscal sponsor for the Wikipedia translation aid tool Minority Translate (Mediawiki PEG 1 and PEG 2). I have had a submission accepted at this language technology workshop, where I will be demonstrating Minority Translate and offer the tool as a platform for language technology for uralic languages. I have also prepared separate discussion of other similar tools and projects funded by Wikimedia. This can further the Wikimedia Mission by empowering the uralic language Wikipedia editions.
Goal and expected impact
As a result of my demonstration, the audience will find it clear in which way their language technology could be used in the translation tool. Since many of the participants are language activists or close to such communities, it is highly likely that it will bring more users to Minority Translate and thus it will grow the size of some uralic language edition of Wikipedia.
- Travel (round trip airfare from Tallinn to Budapest): EUR
updated airfare to reflect actual amount at time of purchase; details on discussion page -- JTud (WMF), Grants Administrator (talk) 01:50, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
- Travel (round trip trainfare from Budapest to Szeged): EUR 25
- Participation fee: EUR 32
- It's a good way to promote the use of Wikipedia to linguists. Kruusamägi (talk) 14:04, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
- I support the proposal. Translation is an essential part of life and any ideas and tools that are helping translation into small languages are very important for surviving of these languages.--Võrok (talk) 09:46, 15 December 2015 (UTC)