User talk:Kruusamägi

Add topic
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Latest comment: 23 days ago by Valerio Bozzolan in topic You are our Wikimedia Hero

Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца) | български | ပအိုဝ်ႏဘာႏသာႏ | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form) | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | Qaraqalpaqsha | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | ລາວ | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | Norfuk / Pitkern | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | Taclḥit | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ꠍꠤꠟꠐꠤ | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча / tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha / ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体) | 中文(繁體) | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello Kruusamägi, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). If you would like, feel free to ask me questions on my talk page. Happy editing! -- Cirt (talk) 04:05, 8 September 2010 (UTC)Reply

-- Cirt (talk) 04:05, 8 September 2010 (UTC)Reply

Minority translate[edit]

Hi! I am very interested at your project and, as a translation administrator in three wikis, do want to be involved. How can I help? --Ochilov (talk) 13:31, 9 March 2015 (UTC)Reply

I'm glad to hear that!
At a moment I'm having some discussions on what order should the different features be added. Maybe you could test this tool and give some feedback on what features would you like to see there?
If you happen to come across with some bugs, then I'd value greatly a feedback on thous. And as there isn't yet a comprehensive user manual, then it's also a great chance to test what is easily understandable and what needs additional instructions (i.e. how intuitive the program is). Kruusamägi (talk) 13:56, 9 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Okay. I think, thirstly, I will translate your website to other lanhguages. Then I will make some guides. And also, I have a question. When you are going to add other languages to translation, especially Russian? --Ochilov (talk) 02:29, 10 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Yes, that would be nice.
You can add whatever language versions when doing translations (use language codes). Interface is also in Russian (if you change it under preferences to Russian). Kruusamägi (talk) 09:18, 10 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Okay, so I thik I'll begin my work soon. --Ochilov (talk) 09:43, 10 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Ochilov, any comments on the program? Kruusamägi (talk) 11:51, 19 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Thank you for showing interest. I am the developer of Minority Translate. I don't think that putting languages on the toolbar is a good idea, because the toolbar is for controls that the user is expected to use often and it would take up too much space (combobox + add&remove buttons). I agree that languages selection could be more intuitive. If you have any other ideas on how to achieve this, then let me know. Usinväikebotikene (talk) 09:14, 21 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Ochilov, could you translate the MT wiki front page into Russian?
We'll likely add intro window, that will lead users directly to preferences. Hopefully that can help to get the settings right after starting the program. Kruusamägi (talk) 15:50, 25 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Yup, will be done till Saturday. --Ochilov (talk) 11:55, 26 March 2015 (UTC)Reply
Have you had time to look into it? New version (1.8) is also out with the autocomplete functionality. Kruusamägi (talk) 19:02, 12 April 2015 (UTC)Reply
Is it done with Minority translate program? (Sorry for not responding a lot time, I had problems to solve in real life) --Ochilov (talk) 09:03, 13 April 2015 (UTC)Reply
No problem. There are some translations missing, but it probably isn't a big problem. If you have time to translate thous, then I can send them. Kruusamägi (talk) 16:41, 13 April 2015 (UTC)Reply
To Ochilov: could you translate thous (.html) files? Kruusamägi (talk) 17:51, 2 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:24, 19 August 2015 (UTC)Reply

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:09, 4 September 2015 (UTC)Reply

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)Reply

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:47, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)Reply

CN for SPC[edit]

Hi! Will SPC be needing CentralNotice banners this year? If yes, could you please add the planned entry to CentralNotice/Calendar as well as make a request on CentralNotice/Request (even if there is already someone who will be taking care of it, we need proper logging of these things)? It would also be very nice to notify major wikis which will suffer from the banners the most with a few lines in their Village Pumps :) --Base (talk) 12:57, 13 October 2017 (UTC)Reply

Yes, it will need it. And there should be several version of banners: like the minimal similar to the one used last time (for anonymous users) and something more noticeable for both anon and logged-in users to be shown for a limited number of times. Kruusamägi (talk) 23:42, 13 October 2017 (UTC)Reply
@Kruusamägi and Base: the Ukrainian team has added the info to the page on Commons: Commons:Wiki Science Competition 2017/CentralNotice, but it is not clear where we are supposed to add the details (time zones, etc). Thus we have added the info here: wmua:CentralNotice#Конкурс наукових фотографій 2017 / Wiki Science Competition 2017. The contest starts in three days, we need the banner --アンタナナ 10:52, 28 October 2017 (UTC)Reply
Dear Ivo, there is still no request here CentralNotice/Request, and we also have a question about campaigns: are you going to help us with them? or we are supposed to find somebody to do it? Thanks! --アンタナナ 09:02, 30 October 2017 (UTC)Reply

Is TZ out?[edit]

Hi Kruusamägi, I stumble a bit late over this project and just wanted to alert my contacts in Tanzania about this. Then I see at page PARTICIPATE that there seems to be a limited access depending on the country you live.

On the other hand RULES say "Everyone is allowed to add images" .

Which is valid?? Kipala (talk) 20:23, 24 November 2017 (UTC)Reply

@Kipala: There is this upload form for the rest of the world (all upload forms).
This map shows the countries where there is some local team working to promote the competition. And the gray countries mark the places with limited promotion, where we hope to get at least some images. With countries marked as white, there is no idea how we might get a reasonable number of images. Kruusamägi (talk) 21:12, 24 November 2017 (UTC)Reply
Kipala I did inform many sub-saharian African universities by email when the competition started in early December, and we have one international juror (an archeologist) from there. Next time it will probably better, and apologize if we couldn't do more.--Alexmar983 (talk) 08:21, 13 January 2018 (UTC)Reply


Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire is about countries with low Wiki awareness. Actually WSC did something in that direction for example in China, if it is worth pointing out. Or ask more money to do a 2018 edition :D Bye.--Alexmar983 (talk) 08:22, 13 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

Community engagement survey for the Iceland Conference 2018[edit]

Commons Photographers User Group
Hello Kruusamägi,

As your username is indicated in the list of the members of the Commons Photographers User Group, you are kindely invited to answer this survey in the order to shape the upcoming Iceland Conference 2018 and help the organizing team.
Thanks! --Dyolf77

User Group page | Leave a message to the user group

Wiki Loves Food[edit]

Curd Rice
Curd Rice

Hello! After the successful pilot program by Wikimedia India in 2015, Wiki Loves Food (WLF) is happening again in 2018 and this year, we are going International. To make this event a grant success, your direction is key. Please sign up as a volunteer or sign up on behalf of your affiliate here.--Abhinav619 (talk) 16:19, 27 April 2018 (UTC)Reply

New UG[edit]

Hi please when you have time start to inform Estonian users about the proposal of Science Wiki User Group. We will build it along WSC2019.

Also, I was in Portugal and I will be again in Switzerland to promote WSC2019. And I have meeting about Italy on June, 19th.--Alexmar983 (talk) 22:06, 12 June 2019 (UTC)Reply

Hopeful conversation about a GLAM-Wiki conference[edit]

I hope you are well, considering. 

I would like to invite you to a meeting next week, with Wiki Movimento Brasil User Group, to start a hopeful conversation about the next GLAM-Wiki conference. I am contacting you as a past contributor to the This Month in GLAM newsletter. There will be a first meeting on Tuesday 25 May at 12pm UTC followed by another on Thursday 27 May at 5pm UTC. You can always find the most up-to-date information about the GLAM & Culture team's office hours on Meta. FRomeo (WMF) (talk) 11:32, 18 May 2021 (UTC)Reply

I am sorry to say that we needed to reschedule today's meeting. The meetings will now happen on Thursday 27 May at 3pm UTC and on Tuesday 1 June at 10am UTC. Chen Almog, the Foundation's Senior Program Officer for Conference & Events Grants, will also join the Tuesday meeting. The times and Zoom links are available on this page. All my best, FRomeo (WMF) (talk) 10:41, 25 May 2021 (UTC)Reply

Call For Volunteer Facilitators Across Africa [edit]

The African Narrative
The African Narrative

Dear Wikimedian,

The Africa Narrative is seeking volunteer facilitators in Egypt (two volunteers) and Senegal (two volunteers) for the AfroCreatives Wikiproject.

The AfroCreatives Wikiproject aims to support and mobilize creatives and professionals from the African creative sector, as well as enthusiasts more broadly, to contribute and enhance knowledge on Wikipedia about Africa’s creative economy. Its inaugural effort will target the film sectors of Egypt, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Senegal.

The Africa Narrative (TAN) is a non-profit that develops singular, high-impact initiatives in support of African creatives and the African cultural and creative industries with the aim to strengthen capacity in the continent’s creative economy and the global visibility of African cultural soft power.

All volunteers must have full professional proficiency in English. In Senegal, they must have native or full professional proficiency in French; in Egypt, they must have native or full professional proficiency in Arabic. Volunteer facilitators should have a vast knowledge about Wikimedia projects and experience with teaching new editors. All volunteers will be compensated.

Interested participants may sign up on the project's Meta page. You may also indicate your country and email if your Wikipedia account is not associated with any email address.

The Africa Narrative/Volunteers

We will be glad if you can share with or recommend an Egyptian or Senegalese Wikipedian as well.

Thank you.

Danidamiobi (talk) 15:28, 24 February 2022 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2022 submissions[edit]

Dear Ivo,

On behalf of the Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2022 programme committee, I am pleased to inform you that your submission "Developments with the Wiki Science Competition" has been accepted as a lecture, while "The time for virtual exhibitions has come: Extending Wikimedia with WikiMuseum" and "October could be the Wikipedia Art Month" have been accepted as lightning talks. Considering that the conference will have language interpretation from English into Russian and vice versa, you have the choice between English and Russian as a language that you will use in your sessions. In case you have any additional requests or questions, do not hesitate to contact me or any other committee member.

Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 10:46, 26 August 2022 (UTC)Reply

WSC 2023[edit]


The French Ministry of Higher Education is funding 4 people in 2023 (3 wikimedians in residence based in universities and one coordinator at Wikimédia France). So we can participate to Wiki Science Competition and also help to organize it. Pyb en résidence (talk) 19:43, 14 April 2023 (UTC)Reply

Excellent! Kruusamägi (talk) 19:46, 14 April 2023 (UTC)Reply
@Pyb en résidence: Shouldn't the sitenotice link directly to this? Kruusamägi (talk) 23:24, 11 November 2023 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2023 submissions[edit]

Dear Ivo,

On behalf of the Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2023 programme committee, I am pleased to inform you that your submission titled "Education with Wikipedia in the Estonian way" has been accepted as a lecture, while your submission titled "Documenting the history of Wikipedia" has been accepted as a lightning talk. If you have not yet registered for the conference, please fill in the registration form. In case you have any additional requests or questions, do not hesitate to contact me or any other committee member.

Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 12:21, 21 July 2023 (UTC)Reply

your presentation at CEE Meeting 2023[edit]

Dear Ivo,

thx for the great presentation (remote!) in Tbilisi. This was v inspiring and I will see whether I can convince my university in Tbilisi to try something similar to what you are doing, at least some steps in that direction! Thanks for the inspiration.

Hundnase (talk) Hundnase (talk) 13:09, 18 September 2023 (UTC)Reply

You are our Wikimedia Hero[edit]

Ciao Ivo. Tere ivo. Ma loodan, et sul on kõik hästi. Universum mängib mõnikord trikke. Ma olen uhke, et sa olid sel raskel ajal abiks. See ei läinud väga hästi... aga see oleks võinud olla palju, palju, palju hullem. Ma saadan teile väga suure kallistuse. Pidage vastu, maailm vajab teid. Ciao :) Grazie per questo evento meraviglioso.


I am sincerely sure that it is we, outsiders, who have brought some imbalance to this lovely place. So it's our own fault, that we don't pay attention to our own belongings, and we make desperate people want to survive, indirectly triggering unexpected situations. So please excuse us all, and thanks for this beautiful, beautiful, cozy event for positive hackers. ValerioBozz (talk) 13:12, 6 May 2024 (UTC)Reply