- Official project name
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 in Armenia
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 1 September 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 5 December 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
"Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 in Armenia" includes a number of outreach & promotion events over the course of four months, which will help to get more people involved to the photo contest and acquainted with Wikimeda projects (Wikimedia Commons & Wikipedia). It will also help to represent Armenian cultural heritage by a large number of free-licensed photographs in Wikimedia Commons.
These outreach & promotion events include photowalks, workshops, awards ceremony & photo exhibitions in the capital of Armenia and 4 other cities. Printed promotional meterial will distributed be distributed during and after the contest (posters, flyers, calendars with best photographs, etc.).
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- USD 4,129.00 (equivalent of 1,701,000 AMD)
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- 1 USD = 412 AMD (as of 08.09.2013, source: oanda.com)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Armenia
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Organization (NGO)
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- Primary contact name
- Vachagan Gratian
- Primary contact username or email
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Board member of Wikimedia Armenia
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Vachagan Gratian (co-ordinaters of WLM 2013 in Armenia are Vachagan Gratian, Aleksey Chalabyan and Mher Bekaryan)
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Board Member of Wikimedia Armenia, Co-ordinator of WLM 2013 in Armenia
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- A large number of free-licensed photos of Armenian architectural and cultural heritage will be available in Wikimedia Commons (current list includes app. 25.000 official monuments),
- More people in Armenia, as well as Diaspora-Armenians from all over the world will learn how to contribute to Wikimedia Projects,
- New Armenian-heritage-related articles in Wikimedia Projects (Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, etc.) will be created during and after the project,
- Promotion of free-content and free-knowledge in Armenia,
- Promotion of historic preservation in Armenia.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- Success of this project should be measure through following subjects:
- number of participants (100+ participants)
- number of images collected (4000+ files)
- Inclusion in the media (40+ mentions)
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
We already secured biggest part of funding necessary for project implementation. In fact we were very close to being fully funded by local sponsors, but as major sponsors wanted to be "General sponsor" of event exclusivly, we had to select just one "General sponsor", and there was not enough time to find new sponsors.
We've successfully started contest (Armenia is in Top-10 by number of photos uploaded, during first 5 days of contest), but we're currently in need of funds for prizes for contest winner and few other expenses.
- List of activities
- Design and distribute of printed promotional material
- Promotion through media, including social media
- Press release
- Promotion through traditional and social media
- Printed material in at least 4 cities
- Photowalks and upload workshops in 4 cities
- Frequents press releases & 1 or 2 press conferences
- Other promo and outreach events (for example flash mobs, getting in touch with art schools, photo clubs, and other potential long-term partners in Armenia, such as museums, educational and state organizations on basis of WLM)
- Pre-selection of uploaded photos by volunteers
- Selection of winners by jury
- Getting prizes for winners
- Press release & press conferences
- Award ceremony
- Exhibition of local winners (and possible 2012 international winners) in Yerevan
- December 2013 - March 2014
- Exhibitions of winning photos (local and international) in 4 cities of Armenia, conducted with outreach events, such as workshops and presentations
Budget and resources
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
- Note: Italic are costs which will be covered by other sponsors.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Subevent||Opening ceremony in Yerevan (includes press conference and upload workshop)||Hall rent||1||0,00||0,00||AMD||Free use of hall promised by Ministry of Culture of Armenia|
|2||Subevent||Upload workshop in 4 cities||Travel costs (for 2-3 persons)||4||50,000||200,000||AMD||In cooperation with local organizations|
|Subtotal||Opening ceremony & workshops||200,000||AMD|
|3||Promotional materials||A4 posters||120||150||18,000||AMD|
|4||Promotional materials||Roll-up banner||2||32,000||64,000||AMD|
|7||Prizes and awards||T-shirts||100||2,800||280,000||AMD|
|8||Promotional materials||Website domain for 1 year||1||12,000||12,000||AMD||Funds provided by Wikimedia Armenia|
|9||Promotional materials||Website hosting for 1 year||1||32,000||32,000||AMD||Free hosting provided by "Shirak Technologies"|
|10||Promotional materials||Photo album with best national photographs||450||1,000||450,000||AMD|
|11||Promotional materials||Calendar with best national photographs||300||1,000||300,000||AMD|
|11||Prizes and awards||1st prize||Photo camera||1||320,000||320,000||AMD|
|12||Prizes and awards||2nd prize||1||240,000||240,000||AMD|
|13||Prizes and awards||3th prize||1||200,000||200,000||AMD|
|14||Prizes and awards||4-10th prizes||7||340,000||AMD|
|15||Prizes and awards||Souvenirs for 50 best participants||50||3,000||150,000||AMD|
|16||Prizes and awards||Special prizes||200,000||AMD|
|17||Prizes and awards||Certificates (for best 50 photographers)||50||600||30,000||AMD|
|Subtotal||Prizes and awards||1,480,000||AMD|
|18||Subevent||Award ceremony||Hall rent||1||0.00||0.00||AMD||Free use of hall promised by Ministry of Culture of Armenia|
|19||Subevent||Award ceremony||Travel costs of winners from provinces||6||14,000||84,000||AMD|
|20||Subevent||Photo exhibition||Color printed photo with passepartout||25||7,000||175,000||AMD||Photo exhibition of with best photographs in 4 cities|
|21||Subevent||Photo exhibition||Transportation of exhibition||4||35,000||140,000||AMD||Photo exhibition of with best photographs in 4 cities|
|22||Subevent||Hall rent||4||0.00||0.00||AMD||Provided by partners|
|23||Additional costs||Administrative costs||Transportation, telephone, bank fees / exchange costs, etc.||120,000||AMD||Transportation, telephone, bank fees / exchange costs, etc.|
|24||Additional costs||Unforeseen expenses||80,000||AMD|
|Grand Total||Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 in Armenia||3,527,500||AMD|
- Total cost of project
- 3,527,500 AMD (8,562.00 USD)
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 1,701,000 AMD / 42% (4,129.00 USD)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Shirak technologies, Wikimedia Armenia
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Our team organized many wiki-events in Armenia, including WikiConference Yerevan 2012. Moreover, the Coordinates have much experience in organizing events outside Wikimedia projects. Vacio for instance has organized a film-event in Armenia, while Aleksey has been co-organizer of BarCamp Yerevan since 2009.
- There are a number of organizations supporting WLM in Armenia, we have cooperated with some of these organizations, while some of them are new partners.
- We work for the first time with Ucom. This organization will provide us with printed promotional material, color prints of the best photos for the photo exhibition after the contest, photo albums and calendars. They will cover the administrative and unexpected costs of the contest, and also help us get a wider media attention.
- We also get support from Armenian Ministery of Culture. The Ministery provides us free ventures for workshops and exhibitions in Yerevan.
- Instigate is a long term partner of Wikimedia Armenia. They will provide us ventures outside Yerevan, as well as some technical support.
- Shirak Technologies provides us free web-hosting, as well as a venture for the organizing team to hold weekly meetings.
- We have a team of volunteers in Yerevan to help us organize events and prmote the contest.
- We have volunteers in cities outside Yerevan, who help us organize local events and promote the contest in their city.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- > Unusually intense media attention & very active use of social media by organizing team during the project.
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- > People come to our workshops to learn how to edit on Wikimedia projects or they learn it by looking for help online.
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- >Most participant will try to upload quality images to become winner of the contest.
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- > Wikimedia Armenia (a very young chapter) learns to co-operate different organizations, including sponsors (fund-raising), media (PR), as well as other NGO's and individuals willing to help Wikipedia (growth of Wikimedia movement in Armenia)
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- This project will encourage and empower more people from Armenia and Armenian diaspora to contribute to Wikimeda projects (Wikimedia Commons & Wikipedia) and get acquainted to MediaWiki-environment. It will also help Wikipedia with a large number of free-licensed photographs representing Armenian heritage.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
The project will benefit both Armenian Wiki-community, readers of Wikimedia projects (including Wikipedia, WikiVojage, etc.). It will benefit Wikimedia Armenia by a stronger media attention, stronger partnership ties and outreach.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- The pojects falls in both organizational development and outreach programs of Wikimedia Armenia, because it helps our young organizationa to grow and get more experience and because it helps us to empower and engage more people to our activites and to Wikimedia.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The outreach events will encourage small Wikimedia communities outside Yerevan to organize wiki-workshops (independantly or with help from Wikimedia Armenia).
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- More people will know about "other" Wikimedia Projects like Wikimedia Commons thanks to our promotional activites (we explain each time what "Wikimedia Commons" is and why you need to upload your photos there and not our local Wikipedia.