Grants:Wikimedia UG Nigeria Grants/Wikimedia User Group Nigeria Community Support Fund/Wiktionary Edit-a-thon in Funtua
Briefly summarize your project proposal.
- I've lead a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Funtua last year where I gather people I open account to new them and teache them how to edit on Wikipedia. To date there are active editors among those who attended that event. Since then I have been receiving calls from participants on how to teach them how to edit in Wiktionary. Some I started teach them and I never got to sit with them and teach them. It was I who decided to apply for a grant in order to re-planning a project to teach a number of participants how to edit in Hausa Wiktionary. This program will provide awareness to participants about Wiktionary to Wikimedia editors in Funtua town. The program will also enhance Hausa Wiktionary by producing improved articles on Wiktionary.
Contact person and Location
Please state the contact details of the contact person(s) for this project including email(s) and location
- Yusuf Sa'adu
Timeline of activities
Please state the timeline of your activities, and include the start and end date for your project
- 30 August to 15th September 2022
Choose one or more of the following goals. Feel free to add or delete goals as required by your project.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Is a two days series of Edit-a-thon.
It will be two days series of edit-a-thon. I and facilitators we will teach the participants how to make editing on Wiktionary and guid them to create and make editing on Hausa Wiktionary.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- I will let the participants know via our existence WhatsApp group of Wikimedians Community of Funtua area. I will also announce via Our Hausa Wikimedians WhatsApp and Telegram groups, I will also announce via our Hausa Wikipedia and Hausa Wiktionary Discussion pages.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:Kaizenify
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, they have Smartphones and some have Laptops
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We already have a WhatsApp group of my previous project, I will continue engaging them there. And many of the participants are my coursemate, I will continue engaging them in school.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Funtua is the third largest Town in Katsina State, there is a need to run Wikimedia Projects in Funtua to get Wikimedia editors and develop Wikimedia Projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 2
- Number of participants - 20
- Number of new editors - 15
- Number of of articles created or improved - 100
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 10
How do you plan to track your project metrics? I will use WMF Dashboard
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I Yusuf Sa'adu I will lead the event with the help of an experience editor's M Bash Ne, Hamza DK and Gwanki
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Venue 50,000 × 2days = 100,000
- Refreshments 1000×20×2days = 40,000
- Data 15,000
- Banner and tags 15,000
- Transport for facilitators 10,000
- T Shirts for Facilitators 2500 × 4 = 10,000
- Contingency = 10,000
- Total = 200,000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!