Grants talk:PEG/Bojana Wiki PG/Trace of a Soul
GAC members who support this request
- Good stuff. Support. Alleycat80 (talk) 07:45, 10 June 2015 (UTC)
- as per Alleycat80 --DerekvG (talk) 08:46, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
- -- Violetova (talk) 17:51, 15 June 2015 (UTC)
GAC members who oppose this request
GAC members who abstain from voting/comment
Couple of suggestions
- Advertising: I suggest that you plan for a banner on the local language wikipedia, to be up 2 weeks before the start of the competition. If that is possible, it is more effective than Twitter and Facebook together :-). At least that's what we found out in our competitions.
- A regular suggestion I make on WLM/WLE events: You should consider allocating 1-2 of the 12 prizes to edit-a-thon participants, for best article. This way you also encourage people to edit, and not only take photos.
- Hi Alleycat80. Thanks for your suport and good suggestions. We have plan to use banner on local language Wikipedia. --Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 21:09, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
Some quick thoughts
There is a lot to like about this project, which aims to bring forth more information on a region that has historically had patchy coverage on Wikimedia. Broadly I think this is fine. My main questions are:
- Has a venue for awards ceremony already been decided? Are the costs listed a quote from a venue, or just an estimate?
- What is the current status of talks with partner institutions (Andrićev Institute and Tourist organizations of Višegrad)? What assistance are you seeking from these organisations?
- Hi Craig, thank you too for supporting and for questions. We are in negotion with TOV and The Institute io order to get formal supportu, help with promotion and some activites - for example TOV and Institute can help too in organizing photo-tour provide venue for edit-a-thon or prize giving event. One person is working in TOV is in our team and we will have results of negotions very soon. --Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 21:14, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
measures of success
Hi, guys, and thank you for the grant idea!
The budget seems reasonable for me but there are a couple of questions/suggestions to the measures of success:
- "<5% of photos will be used" - seems to be a mistake as it is "less than 5%": even zero used photos will be considered a success :) I think it should be something like ">5%";
- you are going to promote the contest via Twitter and Facebook and I would have added some measures for social media, too: for example, 500+ followers for each or something like that;
- I think that the number of new users should be more challenging: you expect 100 participants and I think that it would be nice to get ~10% of them converted as new active users rubin16 (talk) 09:46, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Rubin16!Thank you for your comments and suggestions. You are right, we replaced <>. :) We can include measures of min. 200. facebook followers. Twitter is not so popular in local so I am not sure I am able to predict how many twitter follower we can get. We we do our best to promote this project on all soc. networks. About number of new users, we did research how many of uploaders become active users. We saw the number is not so big. We are a very new wiki user group and we think 2% is good for start. Also, when we talked with Alex, we had discussion about number of new editors and number of photos will be uset in first 2 months on WM project and she also shared with as links with results of previous photo events where we found information about similar event. We are open to talk about this again and to consire to increase this measure of success. --Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 21:27, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
hotel for jury
Hi Bojana, my question is about "hotel for jury" expenses. Can you explain this part: Where the jury members are coming from? Why they need hotel? How long will they stay in the hotel? Thank you - Violetova (talk) 21:19, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Violetava. We are still looking for a jury member. It will be 3-5 member. They will be invited to attend prize-giving event where we will announce the winners. We believe that jury (who will contribute to the this project for free) should come to our event where we will be able to meet each other in person, talk about future communication and work. Maybe some of them will become interested for WM projects and future cooperation. They will be invited to come and stay only for prize-giving day/night. --Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 17:29, 15 June 2015 (UTC)
Hi Bojana. Thanks so much for this high quality and detailed grant request and for engaging with the GAC in the discussion. I really appreciate the supporting events you're planning around the photo competition, such as the photo hunt and editathon. The only remaining question I have is a clarification with the budget. For a couple of line items (prize giving venue and prize giving technical equipment), the total cost and WMF cost is different. Does this mean that you are getting support from somewhere else? If yes, please be sure to update the total cost of project and provide details in the additional sources of revenue. If not, please fix the budget table. I also like Alleycat80's idea of having a prize for the best article created during the editathon. This can be as simple as a t-shirt or reallocating one of the larger prizes. Cheers, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 22:54, 15 June 2015 (UTC)