Grants:PEG/Bojana Wiki PG/Trace of a Soul
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
Wiki Loves Republika Srpska - Trace of a Soul photo-contests. The Republika Srpska is one of the two entities that together comprise the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina, located in Southeast Europe. The natural and historical riches of the Republika Srpska are very large and significant. However, there is little thing is known about them, and even less they are represented on the Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons. There is only few articles and pictures about natural monuments from Republika Srpska. Because that, one of the primary goal of this project is to increase the number of articles and free photos related to this monuments on Wikipedia and on Wikimedia Commons. Other important goal is popularisation of Wikimedia’s mision and vision in Republica Srpska. In general, public is not aware of the possibility of editing Wikimedia project. Also, there is lack of information abotu CC license. Photo contests and edit-a-thons are a good way to inform the general public about the Wikimedia and its mission. The third important goal is strengthening the capacity of the community. In Republika Srpska we have several very active member (with 10K+edits) and wiki community has about ~15 persons. They are doing EduWiki project at the moment and making an effort so the photo competition could be successfully implemented in this region. Project will help strengthening enthusiasm and give support for forming wiki user group in Republika Srpska. This project can also attract new volunteers.
Wiki Loves Republika Srpska - Trace of a Soul will be the first photo-contests. It is conceived as a mix of WLM and WLE competitions. More precisely, under this name we will collect two categories of photos: first will be natural monuments and second will be about cultural and historical monuments. For each category we anticipate major awards I, II, and III prize and consolation prizes for the IV and V place (t--shirts and thanks you letter).
Activities in the organization of the competition are divided into three categories; before the competition, during the competition, after the competition.
Activities before the competition: duration 7 weeks (May 15 - 30 June)
- talk with WMF Done
- writing the grant request Done
- looking for local partners and talk with official institutions In progress... so far we talked with Andrićev Institute and Tourist organizations of Višegrad.
- make lists of all the monuments on the coordinates and general information In progress...
- looking for a jury member In progress... we are looking for 3-5-member jury. criteria are to be successful in these spheres: photography, architecture. One place in jury will be for member of the community with 10K+edits and good knowledge about CC and photo using things.
- launch of a website and data entry In progress...
- launch FB an Twitter page Done
- send media releases and promotion (first announcement)
- create pages and templates on the Meta
Activities during the competition: duration 6 wweks. (July 1 - August 31)
- tracking input
- updating FB page and Twitter
- categorizing and sorting files on the Meta
- photo tour in Višegrad with training on how to upload photos in Commons
- edit-a-thone (writing articles about monuments in Republika Srpska and insert photos into articles)
- send media releases and promotion
- edit a thon
Activities after the competition: 9 weeks. (September 1 - 31. October)
- selecting images for jury
- preparation for prize giving event
- informing the finalists
- announcement the #Top10
- send media releases and promotion
- printing photos and other paper materials
- time for prize giving event
- writing report
- metrics about the participants
- Report on Meta
Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia (especially sr, sh, hr and bs) and indirectly all projects using Wikimedia Commons media files.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
This project will directly affect the Wikimedia Commons through increased the number of photos of natural and historical monuments of Republica Srpska and and indirectly all projects using Wikimedia Commons media files. Edit-a-thon will have impact on Wikipedia by increasing the quantity and quality of articles. The entire project will be accompanied by an aggressive media campaign and promotion and will promote Wikimedia too. Cooperation with GLAM and other institution shows credibility of Wikimedia through their trust in us and our work. Every project like this one, where we have team, empower cooperation between members. This project will show people and contributors from Republic of Srpska that they also can be active in project and participating in global movement activities. This means that they can contribute not just online (editing Wikimedian projects) but offline as well (such as organizing this project).
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- 2000 photos
- 100 participants
- >5% photos will be used in Wikipedia in first 7 weeks after the competition
- 20 media coverage
- community will be stronger than now (min 2 new users, minimum 1 workshop in next 6 weeks etc.)
- >200 facebook followers/page likes.
Resources and risks
Wikimedians from Republika Srpska is a group of users that began joint activities this year. So far they hold several meeting and ran local WikiEdu project (5 workshop), and start one project with local media in order to promote Wikimedia’s projects. Before they start to work together, they did their work as individuals. In the group we have several relatine new wikipedians and several member who are a long time wiki experience (with 10K+edits).
- Bojana Podgorica -professor, theater collaborator, member of Wikimedia community since 2010. She organized several workshops, meetings and edit-a-thons, member of a EduWiki project in Republika Srpska
- Ranko Nikolić - long time Wikipedian with more than 38.000 edits
- Darko Andrić - tourist expert, a representative of the Tourist Organization of Visegrad, on of new wikipedians.
- Boško Masal - Junior web developer, on of new wikipedians.
- Darko Gajić - long time Wikipedian with more than 13.000 edits
- Vuk Vucetic - Wikimedians since 2012, member of EduWiki project in Republika Srpska, Master in communication
- Borislav Vukojević - Wikimedians since 2012, member of EduWiki project in Republika Srpska, Master in communication
- difficulties when sending photos: participants who have not used Commons before, can have confusion in doing it. We will provede tehnical support and all information step by step on our website and via Wikipedia/Commons templates and pages. Also there will be online support via email and social networks.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||WMF||Notes|
|1||Preparation||Preparation||-||-||200||200||EUR||200||phone, internet, bus card, postal costs, etc.|
|2||Photo tour||Photo tour in Višegrad and places near it||1||5-8 people||30||30||EUR||30||For sandwich and gasoline|
|3||Prizes||I, II and III prizes||2 package||2||600||1200||EUR||1200||6 technical gadgets or 6 vouchers: (I -300€; II - 200€ III -100€)|
|4||Prize giving event||Venue||1||1||200||200||EUR||200|
|hotel for jury||200||200||EUR||200|
|travel expenses for the jury||200||200||EUR||200|
|printing of promotional materials||50||EUR||50|
|5||T-shirts||T-shirts||7||21||7||147||EUR||147||T-shirts are for volunteers and consolation prizes for the 4 and 5 place. One t-shirt for a best article in edit-a-thon.|
|7||Edit-a-thon||1||50||50||EUR||50||snacks and refreshments|
|8||Miscellaneous and reserves||100||100||EUR||100|
Total cost of project
- €3757/$4,221.7 USD
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
- €3757/$4,221.7 USD
Additional sources of revenue
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Permission to use the Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons logo for promotional purposes of the event.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Project is announced on the following places
- sr.wiki https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0:%D0%A2%D1%80%D0%B3/%D0%98%D0%B4%D0%B5%D1%98%D0%B5#Foto-konkurs_u_Republici_Srpskoj
- sh.wiki https://sh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pijaca-%D0%9F%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B0#Foto-konkurs_u_Republici_Srpskoj
- bs.wiki https://bs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%C4%8Car%C5%A1ija/Ideje
- FB page https://www.facebook.com/WMRepublikaSrpska
- Mailing list
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.