Grants talk:PEG/WM EE/Start up II/Report
We do not yet have the next grant application and action plan for 2012. Should be finished soon, though. Any feedback to this report would be much appreciated. --Oop 18:45, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- We still haven't had time to write a next grant application but I added the numbers as a draft (Grants:WM EE/2012) so there could be at least an overview about what we are needing and what the plans are. Kruusamägi (talk) 21:19, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for this excellent, clear, and useful report! We are thrilled to read about all this activity in Estonia. Keep up the great work!
Some comments and questions:
1. Have you been in touch with the Global Education Program team at the Wikimedia Foundation about your work in schools and universities? I'm sure they'd love to chat and exchange experiences and insights with the WMEE volunteers who have done this work. If not, I encourage you to get in touch with Frank Schulenburg. Also, those volunteers would probably want to subscribe and participate in the Education mailing list if they haven't done so already.
2. Is there a project page somewhere for the digitization project?
3. Summaries in English for your blog posts are a fantastic idea! They would allow lots of serendipity to happen. :)
- Wonderful, and thank you! Answers:
- Not yet. We have discussed it; some of us think we could benefit from joining GEP, some of us don't expect much gain. Most likely, we should prepare a short review of current situation in Estonia. (As it happens, those volunteers are Ivo and Teele. I'm not sure how many lists they can take.)
- Yeah, well... Documenting our own activities is definitely not one of our strengths. Makes sense, though.
- Well, the main question is who is going to write this English blog. Currently, there seems to be nobody but me. Another question is, where should we keep this blog. We've got blog, Facebook account, Wikipedia pages, WMEE wiki, Meta pages... our little media empire will start threatening Rupert Murdoch soon. So many options, so little time. --Oop (talk) 20:21, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- 2. http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasutaja:Oop/Digitizing_Estonian_Literature --Oop (talk) 20:43, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- 3. A preliminary attempt, due to change: http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasutaja:Oop/Wikimedia_Eesti_News --Oop (talk) 23:53, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks! I really appreciate your making the effort to write these things up in English! I know all too well what it feels like: as a volunteer in WMIL, I used to find it easier to travel to the other side of the country and deliver talks and workshops than to write it up afterwards... :)
- If I may, I'd like to suggest that keeping the English reports on Meta (in or as a sub-page of m:Wikimedia Eesti) rather than on EEWP would be better, for several reasons: 1. it would be more accessible to the international community; 2. it would be easier to follow, because Meta can send e-mail on changed watchlist pages; 3. it would make it clearer to those browsing chapter information on Meta to learn about WMEE's activities. It's entirely up to you, of course. Cheers! Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 00:47, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- Oh, and just to clarify: I wasn't necessarily advocating for you to join the GEP formally -- just that you establish contact with the team and discuss possibilities, share experiences, obstacles, and tools. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 00:48, 6 March 2012 (UTC)