Grants talk:PEG/WM RS/Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia
- A few months ago The Register of National Internet Domain Names of Serbia (RNIDS) published an advertisement for Programme of support to Internet popularisation projects. More than 190 project was proposed, and RNIDS supported only 26. Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia is one of winner. It was very strong competition. We got 100,000.00 RSD non-refundable asset.
- Dom omladine Beograda (The Youth Center of Belgrade) supported this project. They will cover their costs of Venue. Also, we got PR and media relations personnel and one site manager of the venue for free.
- Some part of promotional materials and some name tags, WMRS will use in other event. Why should we make two costs, when we can save :)
- L* - non-GLAM use.
--MikyM 01:57, 5 October 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks for the submission, and sorry for this late response. The application seems to be in pretty good shape, and the projects is also something of very much importance. However, I need further explanation of its main purpose. Is it some kind of educational and promotional project only, or there is something that Wikimedia can benefit from? Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski 20:32, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, Kiril. Thanks for your note. I must admit that the education and popularization of the use of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, or some other WM project is one of the most inportan things in the project. We will show them models of projects, talk about success stories and invited to cooperate. The main goal of the project is that they start using Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commnos, Wikisource... The measure of success will be a number of new articles, images and public domain texts on Wikisource, and that is benefit for us all. So the answer is YES :)--MikyM 21:16, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
An aspect missing from this grant request is a discussion of the "GLAM readiness" (so to speak) of institutions in Serbia. By that I mean things like:
- how do Serbian GLAM institutions feel about Wikipedia? Do we know? Can we find out?
- Does WMRS or the RSWP/Commons community have any relationships already in place with GLAM institutions in Serbia? If not, how do we plan to reach out to the GLAM institutions to make sure we have an audience?
- Do we have any Serbian-speaking Wikimedians familiar with GLAM practices and case studies from the rest of the world, ready to create such partnerships with Serbian GLAM institutions?
The answers to these questions, while they can be made on this talk page, should ultimately find expression in the Grant page itself, as appropriate. Thanks! Ijon 23:18, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- A satisfactory answer was e-mailed to question #2, citing Serbian business culture as the reason the answer was not shared in public. We await an answer to the other questions. Ijon 19:14, 31 October 2011 (UTC)
- According to the data that we have, they look positively. Their interest for "one information more" about possible cooperation, tells us that they feel good about Wikipedia and other sister projects.
- WMRS has established contacts with 10+ institutions in Serbia. Their names will not be posted here, but you will get one e-mail with all information.
- Yes, here is a small community informed about GLAM practices and case studies. They are ready to work on several models. With this GLAM project we have new interested users. Also, WM RS will inform users about GLAM WIKI, during capacity building events. Thank you, --MikyM 20:37, 31 October 2011 (UTC)
First of all: congratulations for win the grant. But I have a few questions:
- Communication cost: there are a 4 cited there, what is that? 4 new phones, 4 recharges of the same phone, what is exactly?
- I got a little confused with the "Trainer meals" + "Participant meals" + "organizers meals" + "Cataring", mostly because I couldn't understand why a "trainer" is different from an "organizer" and why the "participants" are counted as 10 in one place and 120 in another.
- You people will pay someone to create the site? And what is the "Technicians" costs?
- You will pay a bookkeeper - that is what I understand at least - that is a legal requirement?
- The speakers are not confirmed yet? ;)
Hi Beria, thanks for all :) Let's start.
- Communication cost is cost of calling, sending fax etc. We are not going to buy mobile phones for 4 persons. We will only cover the costs for four people / four months.
- You are confused because you have mixed a few sections.
|Crew's training||Beginners training February 20; advanced training February 23||2 people who will train||10 participant (crew)||Date: February 20 & February 23|
|Cataring||participants+crew=120||Date: February 24|
|Organizers||4 persons||They will eat separately, because at the time when others will eat, the organizers will work. And they will have normal-size meal||Date: February 24|
Trainer is different from an organizer because these are not the same person and do not have the same job
- The Register of National Internet Domain Names of Serbia donated money for website. In agreement with they we will pay necessary things. Technicians are persons who maintain websites, and they have their own cost - 16,5€/month
- Yes, all financial transactions and payments must be made by bank account. Because that, we need to have bookkeeper.
- Yes, you are right. Speakers are not confirmed yet. After invitation for participation we will know how money we will need for speakers.
Thank you :) MikyM 19:03, 31 October 2011 (UTC)
If the grant was approved, I think it's our duty to give the people the chance to attend it. For my side, go ahead with this.--Marctaltor 22:23, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
I guess vast majority of extra scholarship money ($1000) is for Noopur Rava airplane ticket. Could you explain in more detail what is exactly her experience with GLAM work? Maybe link to her userpage would be a help... Polimerek 22:27, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
Thanks. Yes. Noopur's userpage on en.wp is w:User:Noopur28. She heading and volunteering at the New Delhi SIG with GLAM as special focus. Also do moderating and coordinating the Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list-IN for which she have started compiling lists of requested photographs. You can see photowalk here: http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Wikipedia_takes_India. She help make resources, guides, presentations for GLAM (GLAM proposal). She has helped in writing proposal for cooperation with MSA (Maharashtra State Archives) and National Crafts' Museum, India. The proposals have been accepted and they are in the final stage of talks. If both these projects get approved, they will be digitizing over 1.5 Billion manuscripts and artifacts.. About conference, we have own website glam.wikimedia.rs (or in EN) and also information can be found on Meta page - Open Wiki GLAM of Serbia--MikyM 23:22, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
- I support this requests for both participants. Yes, airplane tickets from India are expensive but this is a good chance to improve links between Indian and European chapters.--Victoria 09:57, 21 January 2012 (UTC)
I feel this is a very good initiative and well planned. You have my full support. Included with regard to finance trips from India and Macedonia. I appreciate especially the ability to organize it jointly with other organizations that contribute funding. I only see two improvements: 1) I wish that there were identified who will pay each thing so that there are no misunderstandings later in justifying and be enough sending documents supporting the costs financed by WMF. 2) I have consulted our expert GLAM (kippleboy) and he says the possibilities of success increase with the backing of some very prestigious GLAM institution in the country. The fact that the Belgrade Youth Center participates in the organization is a good warranty but it would be great if there were confirmed the participation and support of a major museum like the National Museum of Serbia. --Josepnogue 10:22, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
- I support it too, like Victoria (btw, Noopur's Wikiguide for Photographers is a very good idea). --Pavel Hrdlička 22:46, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
- I support this request, too. --Isha 18:44, 23 January 2012 (UTC)