Grants talk:PEG/WM UA/Wiki Loves Monuments 2014/Report
There are many impressive elements to this report. It is incredible that you were able to exceed all of your contest goals given the difficulties and distractions of war, and that you have recruited the Minister of Culture as a new active editor! Congratulations on adding 20,000 new monuments to your list, it was very helpful that you documented the efforts necessary to achieve this. The learning pattern on how to manage the jury process for large photo contests is also very useful. Thank you for sharing your expertise in that area. We have a few comments and questions below:
- Glamorous shows that there were 2,405 uses of 1,548 images from the category 'Images from Wiki Loves Monuments in 2014 in Ukraine'. Did you use a different category to get the 8412 image uses of 7,111 images listed in the report table?
- Did you do anything to encourage participants to photograph monuments that were lacking images?
- What tools or systems do you use to track monuments that are listed but do not have images?
Please let us know if you need us to clarify any of these questions. You are welcome to use the US$122.58 from your post and telephone budget to cover shipping costs, and retain the remaining US$226.76 while you prepare the next grant request. Cheers! --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 01:52, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Kacie and thank you for your feedback and questions.
- We used the same tool and the same category, except the fact that we also searched outside the main namespace (link). The main reason for this configuration was that our monument lists are not in main namespace of Ukrainian Wikipedia, as they contain original IDs generated by us (we have over 50 formats of lists provided by authorities, each with their own IDs which make them completely unusable). By the way, even more images were used since then, we are now at 8693 uses of 7123 images.
- We have a direct link from the list to the UploadWizard when there is no image, which is a way to make this upload easier. In addition, a nomination for the number of monuments pictured is also a way to encourage picturing more monuments, including those lacking images. Finally, we were more active in cooperation in the regions where there were most monuments without images.
- We had a bot written by Ilya that added newly uploaded images to the lists almost daily. Thus monuments without images were the monuments were we do not have images indeed (or at least we do not have images with the ID of this monument).
- Please feel free to ask me if you need any further information. Thanks — NickK (talk) 21:04, 23 September 2015 (UTC)