Comments from I JethroBT (WMF)
Hello Tajkula and Zblace. Thanks for this proposal supporting the development and coordination of this network of organizations and subject experts aligned on Open Knowledge work with a focus on cultural content. I am happy to report that we will be funding the proposal, and have the following comments and questions for your review:
- The proposal has a very strong level of clarity around the goals of the project and how the Wikimedian-in-Residence and team will support those efforts. The roles and responsibilities of the WiR and other roles are also well-detailed.
- Relatedly, it's good that there is a somewhat narrow focus for the WiR on communications, general coordination, and outreach. Historically, we have observed that Wikimedian-in-Residence projects are more successful when they attend to a small set of important but narrow needs related to the institutions or communities they are supporting. While there are lots of possible avenues that expert Wikimedians can support, it will be important to prioritize these needs and ensure the role of the WiR does not become excessively broad or unclear as this initiative progresses. This tends to result in poorer or ambiguous outcomes, and also burnout for the WiR involved.
- It's great to see a set of helpful metrics to evaluate how the Clubture Network is working together towards your goals in terms of inviting subject experts into this initiative, media appearances as a dimension of outreach, as well as efforts to forge connections with possible partners. I know the subject matter of cultural topics is quite broad, but are there any specific cultural topics you are hoping to invite experts to support?
- Thank as well for securing supplemental funding for this initiative. While I have no specific concerns about the overall budget, could you describe how Rapid Funds and the in-kind funds will be used in this project? Are they generally supporting the same expenses, or different ones?
When you're able, please respond to my questions above, but there is no specific urgency around this request. Glad to be supporting this coordination with cultural institutions in Croatia, and thanks for submitting this project for our review. Please feel free to contact us at ceeca_rapidwikimedia.org if you have any needs for support around outreach or programmatic planning for your activities! With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 19:36, 18 February 2022 (UTC)
- I JethroBT (WMF) hope you donot mind me adding numbering to points for easier reference.
- Thank you for aknowledging that. It is now 3rd WiR setup in Croatia for me so it becomes much more clear on what is adequate and possible. Clubture is also well organized and fairly stable network with experinced professionals.
- Yes. I think this was part of the experince from 1st WiR, so I can easily agree.
- Yes. From what I know now a lot of data modeling in Wikidata was so far geared to classical herritage institutions, (dealing with non-contemporary arts, cultural practices and media formats), so we will likely have few people invited to help with data modeling for smaller independent cultural and artist-run organizations, as well as practices and media they favor.
- I think it is almost exclusivly different ones, but I will pas on this to Tajkula to speak on behalf of Clubture. --Zblace (talk) 13:00, 23 February 2022 (UTC)
- I JethroBT (WMF) I am sorry for the late reply. I will just add the answer under the point 4. Rapid Funds are used for covering work expenses on this project for 2 documentarists and 1 Wikimedian-in-Residence. Clubture in-kind funds are contribution for Clubture employee (me) working on this project as a coordinator and for administrative costs like zoom subscription, bank transfers. Tajkula (talk) 11:25, 17 August 2022 (UTC)
Hello I JethroBT (WMF) I would like to ask if it's okay to extend the period of our project activities for one more month (during October 2022). In the second half of October we are planning to give a presentation of our Wikimedia project work during the Clubture Forum, which is an annual gathering of Clubture Network member organizations in Pula, Croatia. Forum is initially planned to be earlier in October but due to circumstances it was postponed, and will be held from 20th until 22nd of October. We also would like to continue our editing and regular weekly meetings of the project team until the end of October. Tajkula (talk)