Grants:Project/Rapid/Clubture.org/20 years of participatory and open culture
Clubture Network gathers independent cultural organizations across Croatia since its founding in 2002. Through its central program of exchanges and collaborations, Clubture Network supports and (co)funds projects with mini grants. Through which independent cultural organizations (associations, artistic organizations and informal initiatives) exchange content or jointly create and implement new partner projects. This program is especially useful to informal initiatives and novel organizations helping them to connect, to establish themselves in the field and learn from more experienced organizations. Since early 2000 more than 250 organizations participated in this program with more than 1500 activities. The program democratizes, de-centres and gives access to innovative and quality cultural content to different parts of Croatia, smaller and larger communities for various target groups, primarily the youth. Network also advocates for independent and youth culture policies at different levels and on different topics of urgency. Clubture Network was supportive of education and promotion work of Wikimedia since 2020 and specifically Wikipedia content developments and diversifying participation in Croatia via HrW_initiative.
Context & Contributors
In 2002 Clubture Network marks its 20th anniversary and in that context we would like to open, publish and promote information as structured data and archive materials collected from 20 years of work. Organization archive is now reachable at a custom made website and network members most often publish new material on facebook event pages. This effort to open it up and establish a participatory model via Wikimedia will be led by Z. Blace (experienced in media activism, education, curating and community organizing), with support of individual Wikimedians, documentarists and media practitioners from GLAMwikis.
Clubture Network will initiate this process and encourage our network members to adopt it for future workflows and avoid Facebook-Instagram exclusive publishing, as an effort to embody practical open and participatory principles of the Clubture network also in technological and licencing choices. It will also encourage people working in digital humanities to do research on topics of contemporary non-institutional and youth culture, rather than just heritage institutions.
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- By establishing this first work of filling the big cultural and civil society content gap in Croatian Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects we will:
1. support first big coordination of organizations, experts and Open supporters; 2. organize public presentation and media activities to increase Wikimedia visibility; 3. also support content engagement inside the Wikimedia ecosystem, beyond Wikipedia; 4. inform and educate network members and public of non corporate media options; 5. help render queries of presence and impact of Clubture, against other data (development and capacities per location, time and topic)
Importance will be given to the values of open content, sharing, commoning and new models of publishing (away from toxic social media networks), including logic and practices (how to coordinate and contribute to the community and different Wikimedia projects).
For Wikimedia in Croatia these will be new efforts in addressing content, context, values and infrastructures together at a big scale in terms of contributors and participants.
We will sort, normalize, (when needed digitize) upload the media documentation (photos, posters, flyers, booklets, videos) and insert structured data of 20 years of activities of Clubture network members and make it available for Wikimedia projects, including Wikipedia in Croatian language which has a huge content gap with contemporary, independent and youth culture and civil society.
We will spend 6 months in weekly work sessions of the team of 3-4 people doing this towards the celebration of 20 years of the Network where this will be presented in the form of an exhibition poster and interactive presentation. We will also demo our work and instruct enthusiastic volunteers how to continue doing this in the future by updating information and media on Wikimedia. We will cross-pollinate and extrapolate data to illustrate Clubture’s impact. We will print at least 3 posters that visualize new insights based on newly accessible data.
WiR will be set for a period of 6 months with weekly work sessions in different intensities. Start will be intense due to planning and initiating activities, then more routine until final presentations. The WiR will comprise at least; 24 meetings, 1 webinar, 1 public presentation and if needed 1 scanning activity organized for and with an expert from Multimedia Institute.
The WiR will be responsible for:
- Liaising between the WMF, Wikimedia communities, affiliates and experts.
- Organizing internal work: informing and educating the team, members and partners.
- Building credibility and visibility on Wikipedia in Croatian and Wikimedia projects.
- Organize info and promo materials for the media, general and expert public.
- Identifying content lists of materials in the Public Domain or with CC-by-SA license.
- Promoting activities through Media coverage and among the GLAM experts.
- Coordinating scanning and advising on uploads and content creation.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The team of 4 people will meet on weekly basis (once per week) during 6 months. First we will examine existing media archive, and member database. Than plan on Wikidata info import work and Wikimedia Commons uploads on few case studies as educational examples. After that we will estimate monthly tempo of work and check for possible gaps in information or content.
Further on we will normalize data, organize and conform media for massive uploads. At the last part of the project we will use media and data to populate existing and start new wiki articles on Croatian Wikipedia and other projects when useful and possible. Finally, we will organize presentation to Clubture members including demo of work done and exhibition of some of the most attractive results. We will also inform media and public of our work.
Time divided in different tasks:
- 30 percent organizing offline and online content for uploads
- 20 percent describing, uploading and using information+media resources in Wikipedia
- 15 percent of time on communication and coordination between partners, participants, advisors and the Wikimedia communities, and WMF to ensure project execution
- 10 percent educating on Wikimedia technologies, licences, protocols
- 10 percent information and promotion work to members, media and expert public
- 15 percent evaluation, planning follow up work and reporting
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Proposal is not yet advertised publicly, but the project will use several media outlets, partners and supporters, including both internal mailing-list publications, as well as newsletter and web magazine KulturPunkt.hr and others. WiR will also research and outreach to local and regional wikimedians, initiate communication on email-lists on the list server of WikiMediaFoundation for expert advice. We will also use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media/services of our own and partners for outreach and promotion.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By the end of the project, we will have a fair amount of open content and data published on the independent cultural scene in Croatia from the past 20 years. We will have both informative, educational and inspirational media outputs (visualizations in timelines and maps), as well as other resources to support future development on regional and local levels in the future.
- We will have both higher number of informed and committed wikipedia editors and wikimedia contributors
- We will improve community engagement and visibility on Wikipedia in Croatian language, Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons.
- We will have new relations among organizations, groups and individual Wikimedians in practical and personal capacities for engagement in future activities so that they will assist each other in new collaborations.
This partnership will be an example for other GLAM collaborations for various Wikimedia projects in Croatia and in the region in the future, as this was partly from #1 WiR @GKR.hr.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
- Number of institutional entities and organizations connected: 40-60
- Number of all participants in all activities: team of 4 + 40 representatives of organizations
- Number of expert participants in workshops and meetings: 3
- Number of new and updated entries in Wikipedia (after checking and proofreading): 50
- Number of media uploaded to Commons: 150
- Number of new data items in Wikidata: 100
- Number of media clips and media appearances: 5
- Number of plans developed for future GLAM Wikimedian in residencies: 2
- Number of plans developed for future projects: 3
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Project is organized by the CLUBTURE.org network with Z. Blace as WiR, with a freelance documentation expert and student intern. The Network is turning 20 years old and is considered a leading factor in connecting independent cultural organizations in Croatia through programme networking and distribution of cultural content in all parts of Croatia. Its specific participatory decision making model is recognized as a positive model - all the organisations and initiatives that wish to propose programmes can evaluate them by means of a transparent and accurate scoring and voting system. Besides the core activity of programme exchange, Clubture Network also aims to raise public awareness about the importance of independent cultural sector as well as promoting change in the institutional framework.
In the past 2 years it supported 2 projects of Wikimedia and Open Digital Commons education as well as activities related to Wikipedia @ 20 anniversary in Croatia. The network will cover in-kind coordination and admin costs, as well as some of the needed office use and tech (Zoom account and web hosting).
Some support from Multimedia Institute from Zagreb and HrW initiative from HR Wikipedia, as well as other Wikimedians and affiliates in consultation roles.
WiR is to lead the project conceptually planning and setup as well as initial educational and later quality control activities - by co-organizing meetings, workshop and public presentation activities. It informs and educates professional staff and members of the network to contribute to Wikimedia projects and Croatian independent culture and arts open content publishing.
- Tatjana Vukadinović, coordination and responsible staff member for documentation and programs
- Željka Lukešić, financial administrator
External people involved:
- Consultants - members of affiliates Wikimedia Serbia, GLAM Macedonia and possibly other affiliates, as well as GLAM-wiki mailing lists and User groups
- Volunteers - from Clubture network members: Digitization, Proofreading, research for content gaps, upload of content on different Wikimedia Projects, and create articles on Wikipedia relevant to the independent cultural scene.
Equipment and tech:
- DIY book Scanner support by Multimedia Institute in Zagreb
- Zoom account paid by Clubture network
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Compensation for Wikimedian-in-Residence lead 6 x3 x100 = 1800 USD
- (education, presentation, uploads, conceptual development and supervision of process)
- Compensation for the intern working on archive 3 x80 x5 = 1200 USD
- (normalizing data, adapting file formats and digitizing analogue assets)
- Compensation for the documentarist working on archive 3 x50 x10 = 1500 USD
- (Commons uploads, description in English + 1 more language, Wikifying content)
- Production of webinar, workshop and post-production of documentation = 500 USD
- (design of promotion graphics, presentation and audio-visual editing of recording)
- Project coordination with Clubture members and team 6 x5 x100 = 3000 USD (Clubture)
- (informing and supporting all involved in legal, administrative and financial aspects)
- Miscellaneous costs (5% of total budget) = 250 USD (Clubture)
- (bank transfers, administrative costs, participation in office comm. and coordination)
- 5.000 USD Requested (3.250 USD is Clubture in-kind)
- 8.250 USD TOTAL
- I feel this is a very important project since independent culture and arts in Croatia are very marginalized and underestimated. I fully endorse this project. Lor H (talk) 10:26, 27 November 2021 (UTC)
- I support this project.JLeshich (talk) 11:41, 27 November 2021 (UTC)
- Both Clubture and the proposed project are making a huge positive impact on our local and network communities. J3d1n4 (talk) 12:46, 29 November 2021 (UTC)
- I believe that Wikipedia.hr talks for itself why is this project important. But to give a real endorsement, I think that making information and data about independent culture in Croatia as accessible and widespread as possible is of a great importance for cultural workers to be better supported and for young people to have more access to more tolerant and open culture. Veseli ruđer (talk) 14:09, 29 November 2021 (UTC)
- I strongly support this project. The idea is well developed and, after decades of revisionism in Croatian Wikipedia, it is groups and projects like these that can return the trust in the Wiki project in Croatia. NaucnicaCG 17:10, 07 December 2021 (UTC)
- strong support if this project can lead to free content being released (I would like to know a little more on the contents that will be released in fine). Also given the recent events on the croatian wikipedia, any incentive to develop cooperative projects aiming at supporting alternative contribution is important with the aim of developing more diversity in the contributing community. I feel that the project should include an editathon and contributing sessions in the field of art in Croatia as well. The associative infrastructure of Clubture and Mama (Multimedia institute) provide all the necessary infrastructure in a welcoming environment to do so. The francophone project les sans pagEs is in contact with Z.Blace since 2020 and fruitful collaborations have allready emerged. Nattes à chat (talk) 18:26, 11 December 2021 (UTC)
- I support this project. Experienced editor, expected local impact etc. Anthere (talk) 11:20, 12 December 2021 (UTC)