Comments from WMF
Hello Jani Pereira, thanks for submitting this comprehensive Rapid Grant proposal. I have reviewed your application and really appreciate the efforts you are putting into documenting and preserving the indigenous knowledge of Brazil. I have the following questions and comments:
- Please add the requested amount in your local currency to the probox.
- Could you please confirm that all produced materials will be shared under Creative Commons licenses compatible with Wikimedia projects?
- Are you planning to use the uploaded videos on other Wikimedia projects aside from Wikimedia Commons?
- Your detailed budget adds up to 2,050 USD. Please update it, so that the total requested budget does not exceed 2,000 USD.
- Do the “Scriptwriter” and “Post-production” budget items reflect the video production expenses? If yes, could you please combine them under video production expenses? Otherwise, these expenses are ineligible for funding since there are only limited cases when we allow compensation for people’s time.
- As communicated over email, we will make an exception and allow equipment purchase expenses for your grant.
- Hi DSaroyan (WMF), I am very grateful to you for helping me and this project. Here are answers to your questions.
- The amount in our local currency (BRL) was add.
- I already talked to the communities involved in this project, explained Creative Commons licenses and they agreed with it. Therefore, all material will be made available under Creative Commons licenses.
- The entire project will be assembled and made available on Wikiversity, from the script to the videos and audios. This way our model can be replicated in other Brazilian communities.
- The budget amount has been corrected.
- Yes, “Scriptwriter” and “Post-production” are video production expenses. I also corrected this in the budget.
- I cannot thank you enough for everything you have done to support the project, DSaroyan (WMF). Please let me know if you need more clarifications. Best, Jani Pereira (talk) 12:37, 23 September 2020 (UTC)
Update and End date extension
Hi DSaroyan (WMF), I hope this post finds you well. I hereby update the status of the project and ask for a deadline extension due to the reasons I will present below.
After the approval of the "Reallocation request" , the communities got excited and made more recordings in their native dialects. Unfortunately, this delayed the submission of material for post-editing, to translate and caption the videos.
Additionally, since August this year, indigenous communities (such as indigenous village "Rio Silveiras") have been protesting against the invalidation of their territory, to prevent it from being handed over to agribusiness. For weeks, they remain camped in the capital of Brazil following the Supreme Court vote, but the court postponed the judgment over and over again. This protest is considered the largest indigenous mobilization in Brazilian history!
For more information on the subject, I recommend the following articles:
- Keyword in English: Indigenous; Brazilian; Protest; Deforestation.
- Keywords in Portuguese: Marco temporal; Indígena; Protesto.
Since communities are protesting in another state, they are unable to send and translate the videos in their native dialects. And I am unabel to do the pos-production and caption the videos. I hope you can extend the deadline until December, because the situation right now is out of our hands. Please let me know if you need more clarifications. Best, Jani Pereira (talk) 20:59, 20 September 2021 (UTC)
- Hi Jani Pereira, thanks for posting this request. I'm really sorry to hear that you have to postpone the project due to ongoing protests in Brazil, but I'm glad that people are fighting for their rights. I'm approving your extension request. The new grant end date is 31 December 2021 and the final report is due on 31 January 2022. Good luck, DSaroyan (WMF) (talk) 07:19, 21 September 2021 (UTC)