Grants talk:Project/Rapid/SMustafa/Publication for the Bengali language community aiming to bridge the knowledge gap about the Wikimedia movement
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Comments from I JethroBT (WMF)
@Tarunno: Hello Shabab, and thanks for your proposal. Here are my comments and questions:
- Would you be willing to set the start date for sometime in the next week? You may also adjust the end date accordingly for as much time as you may need to complete the proposed work. I had two other questions, which you can respond to when you're able:
- What kinds of organizations or institutions in your community has this publication been distributed to in the past to help support their awareness of the Wikimedia movement?
- In terms of outreach, what is your general plan to distribute this publication to a wide audience? Are there platforms or spaces where sharing this publication will help support greater awareness in your community?
- @I JethroBT (WMF): Hi Chris, thanks for the queries. Here are the answers to your questions.
- I have changes the dates accordingly.
- The primary target audience for Wikibarta was the existing and newcomer wikimedians to keep them motivated to keep contributing to Wiki Projects. Bangla Wikimedia Community and Wikimedia Bangladesh have several public social media accounts and mailing lists. News and contents of Wikibarta get circulated to the public through these platforms. As these platforms are public and get followed by people from outside of our movement also. So, we were able to reach the people who are interested in Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects.
- The Authors who gave us interviews or contribute to Wikibarta, primarily Wikimedians, were also involved in various educational institutions and other organisations. When they share the links of their writing on their timeline, Wikibarta reaches furthermore.
- Recently, we see another source of traffic on the website of Wikibarta, which is via the search engines. When people try to search to understand how Wikipedia works or how to contribute to Wikipedia in Bengali, the contents of Wikibarta show up. Which becomes a passive way of creating an awareness that is helping people to understand better about Wikimedia Movement.
- Many new Wikimedians join us during the edit-a-thons and contests. Most of the time they fell inactive after the event. We want to distribute this to those newcomers so they have a better understanding of the Wikimedia movement and communities and keep them motivated to continue.
- When we do offline outreach, we feel the lack of quality printed materials. We feel the difficulty of explaining a large topic of the Wikimedia Movement within a short period. Printed reading material can bridge this gap. We aim to distribute this printed version through the student clubs of educational institutes. We also want to distribute it to the teachers and heads of educational institutions. We are positive that it will encourage them to join the Wikimedia Movement.
- Besides that, we want to reach to friendly organisations that work on various issues like Open Knowledge, Human Rights, Women Rights, photography clubs, officials from government organisations, etc to build a sustainable partnership with them and encourage them to get involved with Wikimedia Projects as well. With this printed collection of Wikibarta, they will be able to understand the scale and scope of the overall Wikimedia Movement.