Grants talk:Project/Rapid/UG GR/Corfupedia
Hello User:Magioladitis and thank you for your patience with this. This is probably one of the least rapid grants in the rapid grants history ;). Anyway. I just have one question for you, can you please look to order the swag here? Tell me if that works for you and we'll adapt the project accrdingly. On the project itslef, I am really impressed with the work you've been doing around and for this project and particularly interested in the outcomes, since it sems to have been an initiative from the students themselves, so I can imagine they will be interested in completing it successfully. Once we've made the swag thing clear, we can proceed with approval, but I do have a question for you. There's a 250,00€ fee for a conference, but I'm not sure what conference (is it the Confronting Contemporary Educational Challenges through Research conference?) and for how many people. Can you tell me a bit more about it and what you intend to do exactly there? Thanks! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 09:22, 14 March 2017 (UTC) (cc/ Morgan)
Ηι Delphine (WMF)! Thanks for the reply:
- Ofcourse, if we could get swag directly from the WMF that would be more than wonderful. We could for example take 2 packs from Collection 2: Plath. I will adjust the budget accordingly.
- The 250,00€ fee will be for 2 conferences. The exact conferences and the exact number of people attending will be adjusted after the paper(s) are accepted. We already have submitted them in 2 conferences. In the uperc2017 there will be 1 person attending. These conferences address mainly to school teachers. There, we expect to raise awareness of use of Wikipedia in Education and encourage more educators and teachers to use Wikipedia in school projects and explain the benefits of it. -- Magioladitis (talk) 09:30, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
- Hello User:Magioladitis Thank you for your answers. Please make the swag request directly. If I understand well, you have submitted papers to the conferences about these experiments but have not yet heard from them? I still would like to see a more detailled breakdown of that line since it is an important part of the budget. Also, but it's a technicality, I suppose you're not buying two bottles of soft drinks for 50 € a piece, so it'd be great if you could break that line into number of people expected and price per person. Thanks! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 16:12, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
Delphine (WMF) Hi again. Thanks for the comments. I write down the registration fees in full details after I consulted the conferences' sites. On the soft drinks: I mean two meetings. And 50 € per meeting to buy drinks and snacks for all the students. Should I write this in more detail? I'll try to make the swag request directly. I'll keep you posted. -- Magioladitis (talk) 20:50, 16 March 2017 (UTC)
- Magioladitis Yes for the details in the grant page about the drinks please. I saw your swag request, so we're all good on this, and thanks for breaking down the conference fees! Ping me when you've done the breakdown for drinks :) Delphine (WMF) (talk) 10:50, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Well Magioladitis, use those beverages to put out the fire! :D. Thank you, this is a budget I am super happy with (you'll learn about me that I have been an event manager for many many years, so event budgets are my thing ;)). Granted, the detail of the paper cups might be over the top! As for the conferences, I find that 5 people going to one conference is maybe a bit too much, so I would cap the attendance to three people. However, can you confirm whether or not the 3 people are the same that go to the other conference(s) listed? I am tempted to dissociate the conference attendance from this grant since unless your papers are actually accepted, these conferences may have absolutely no relation to your project at all. Right? Can you confirm where you submitted a paper and where it's been accepted (or when you will know)? Thanks! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 13:55, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
Delphine (WMF) Hehe. My pleasure to make people happy.
We expect replies from the Conferences by the end of this month.
The reason more people want to participate in the Patra event is that this is an international conference in contrary to the other two being national conferences. the paper in Patras is written in English. Note also that in fact only one or two persons will be attending the Patras Conference and that we will cover the travel and overnight expenses by ourselves. The amount of money is only for the registration fees. Many of the phD students participate in the project because they want to have this activity in their CV. Sure, we can still reduce the number of covered participants to 3. Let's wait a couple of days to see if we actually have a reply from the Conference anyway. I will also ask for a discount from them as well.
Take note that in the Syros conference there will be 2 authors (me and a female school teacher who also participates in my other "Why Women Don't Edit Wikipedia?" project). The organisers accepted that we pay only 1 registration fee. We will, here as well, cover any other expenses by ourselves.
- Thanks for updating the project budget, Magioladitis. I agree, we'll also wait until there is a more definitive response from the conference organizers before making a decision. We appreciate your patience and engagement thus far! :) Cheers, Morgan Jue (WMF) (talk) 20:26, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
Dear Magioladitis, thank you for submitting this request. I hereby approve it! Morgan will get back to you on San Francisco time to get all the necessary details. Thank you for engaging with us and thank you for your patience, it was indeed a cool experience ;). please note that we will repurpose the funds of your previous grant through this one! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 10:37, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Magioladitis the joys of being on (almost) the same timezone ;) Delphine (WMF) (talk) 14:25, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- One more thing, Magioladitis: can you update the start and end dates on the proposal page? I'll also follow-up with you over email. Thank you! Morgan Jue (WMF) (talk) 18:18, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Morgan Jue (WMF) Just did! The program started in end of November (in fact the first coordinating meeting) and we expect the last presentation to be by the end of July. -- Magioladitis (talk) 18:46, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Magioladitis I think for software reasons, we need exact dates (days, not just months). Also because it's hard to set a deadline for your report if we don't have an exact date ;) Thanks! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 07:23, 22 March 2017 (UTC)