Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
- Recruit new editors
- Add or improve content
CorfuPedia is going to be a student project with main purpose to introduce students to Wikipedia, via creating new articles in the history of the place they live in. The project is going to take place in Corfu, Greece. The students of the cooperating schools, proposed the project to their teachers, since they have seen (after their introduction to Wikipedia) that there are not many articles referring to the local history of Corfu in Wikipedia.
The students come from 2 Junior High Schools (Secondary education schools, with students aged 12-14), one evening High school (students aged 15-65!) and one vocational evening High school (students aged from 16 to 38) and a team from the local, Ionian University (4 MA students with Phd candidates). The total number of students is 60. The project is going to take place during 2016-2017 school period from December to May. The aim is to cover the main articles of the local history of Corfu between 1815 to 1864 that the island was under British occupation.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- A series of onsite and online training, creation of new articles from teams of students, and research for PD images to upload to Commons.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Social Media
- Facebook page
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Students are working in teams with their teachers to create the content, using their school computer labs. There is a team of informatics course helping them, and experienced wikipedians will be training the on wiki editing.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will keep in contact with all the participants to see what they have learned and what they would need in order to keep contributing.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The results will be presented to other teachers and educators in 3 conferences:
- The International Conference on Educational Research titled “Confronting Contemporary Educational Challenges through Research” that will be held on June 30 – July 02, 2017 in Patras, Greece. Authors: 5
- The 9th Panhellenic Congress for Informatics in Education that will be held in Syros, Greece. Authors: 1
- 3rd International Congress EEPEK. Authors: 3
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events
- Digifest Corfu Greece
- 1st Competition of Student Innovation in Corfu Greece
- Educational Business Awards 2017
- Photo expedition in Corfu City and Monuments
- Press Conference (including local digital and press media)
- Webinars on all of the participating schools (5 schools on Jan 2017)
- International Conference on Educational Research titled “Confronting Contemporary Educational Challenges through Research”
- 9th Panhellenic Congress for Informatics in Education
- 3rd International Congress EEPEK
- Number of participants
- 120 students (updated Jan 2017)
- 19 educators (updated Jan 2017)
- 3 Phd candidates from Ionion University (updated Jan 2017)
- 3 members of Wikimedia Community user group Greece (updated Jan 2017)
- Number of new editors
- More than 70 (updated Jan 2017)
- Number of of articles created or improved
- Estimated 40 articles in Greek and all of them translated from the students in English, French, German
- At least 30 high quality photos and more than 50 photos in general
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
- The core team consists of 20 people that will be present on the most of the events.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|1||Print materials||Handouts, certificates, etc.||~200||€0.50||€100.00|
|2||Swags||Buttons and stickers||2 packs of Collection 2: Plath||-||-|
|3||Soft drinks||For the press conference and the all-stuff meetings||20 bottles of 1.5lt||€1.50||€30.00|
|4||Bottles of water||For the press conference and the all-stuff meetings||20 bottles of 1.5lt||€1.00||€20.00|
|5||Snacks||For the press conference and the all-stuff meetings||20||€2.20||€44.00|
|6||Plastic cups||For the press conference and the all-stuff meetings||2 packs||€1.00||€2.00|
|7||Rolls of paper||For the press conference and the all-stuff meetings||2 packs||€3.00||€6.00|
|8||Registration fees for EEPEK||For participating in 3rd EEPEK conference||3||€30.00||€90.00|
|9||Registration fees for 9th Panhellenic Congress in Syros||For participating in 9th Panhellenic Congress||1||€40.00||€40.00|
|10||Incidentals||Expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||n/a||€80.00||€78.00|
- Total cost of project
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Cause it is a great idea to introduce kids to wikipedia. Also it is a huge project for education in Greece. Fotiousotirios (talk) 23:30, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- Participating in a project like this gives all students from Corfu the opportunity to discover wikipedia but also through their work to learn about their island and it's long history Esiotos (talk) 06:30, 14 February 2017 (UTC)
- It will be a great reward for the students participating. Γυμνάσιο Καστελλάνων Μέσης (talk) 04:10, 16 February 2017 (UTC)
- Because young students will explore the world of Wikipedia and get into the job of a translator by using their knowledge in french !! Koniari.ka (talk) 18:46, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- I like this project and I want to participate. Magdadokanari (talk) 21:39, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Elina kalo (talk) 00:30, 22 March 2017 (UTC)