Grants talk:TPS/Flixtey/Wa Kiwix Project/Report
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hello, Flixtey. Thanks for submitting this report. The Participation Committee is approving your report, with these requests:
- Please share whatever insights you can offer about what made this event so successful: was the outreach especially effective? what motivated the students to turn out in such large numbers? If there are any strategies you can share, please do so. (It's okay to say so if you don't know!)
- Please provide a little bit more detail about what you presented. If you used slides or handouts, please link to them. If not, please provide a summary of your talk.
- We'd also like you to share the survey results in your report, once they're available.
Thank you so much for your contributions, Flixtey!
Warm regards, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 19:43, 16 December 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Marti (WMF) I am glad the Participation Committee is considering approval of my report. I am however enthused to share more insights about the event and glad you asked, kindly see the responses to your questions below:
- I think we working through the school was the winner in this case. We took our time to explain the benefits of the project to the school, how it would revolutionize their way of teaching and the students way of learning. We also emphasized the additional benefits aside just acquiring knowledge, such as improving their IT skills and improving their research abilities. Having understood all these benefits the school made it a point to entreat all students to participate, by constantly announcing the event and benefits.
- I spoke on Wikipedia Zero at the event, because i wanted to engage them practically on how to connect via the platform i didn't use a presentation. However i used the content on the main WP Zero page on the foundations page and an open letter video to a tel-co requesting their participation in WP Zero. I also showed them how to connect to the platform via MTN in a demo so that those who possessed mobile phones and other internet enabled devices could connect to Wikipedia even when at home.
- Two weeks after the campaign the resident Wikimedian visited the school for the survey unfortunately the students were writing exams so they couldn't make time. The school has however promised to schedule a day for the survey if possible before vacation or early next year when school resumes. The report page will definitely be updated with the feedback (survey) as it is very crucial for future similar events and for our plans towards and education program possibly next year.
- Warmest regards--Flixtey (talk) 09:52, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks for the quick follow up, Flixtey! I really enjoyed reviewing this report (loved all of the photos!) and am glad we could support this initiative. Best regards, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 18:17, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Marti (WMF) the survey results are finally in and you can find more insights on the outcome of the project there. Thanks for your patience and suport.--Flixtey (talk) 19:25, 2 March 2016 (UTC)