A learning pattern foroutreach
created on07:55, 18 November 2021 (UTC)
What problem does this solve?
- This learning pattern seeks to solve the problem of lack of instructional guides for editing Wikivoyage.
- There exists a huge gap about African destinations on Wikivoyage without any significant attempt at carrying out a complete overhaul and improvement.
- We are attempting to bridge the knowledge gap on travel information on the African continent and within African countries on Wikivoyage.
- Our overall goal is to reduce the knowledge gap of travel information available on the English Wikivoyage for Nigerian destinations (States, Cities and Towns) and highlighting the tourism potential in the various destinations
What is the solution?
- We raised awareness about Wikivoyage via social media while also leveraging on Wikipedia and the possibilities it offers to promoting tourism, knowledge, integration, cultural heritage and development in Nigeria and the huge knowledge gap that exists about travel information on Wikivoyage, with a call to action via a contest/campaign to bridge the gap.
- We created short instructional and small sized (to overcome the challenges of poor internet) videos that will explain and highlight the process of editing and creating articles on Wikivoyage.
- We organized training sessions for participants via zoom and built a community that will promote and coordinate collaboration to create new articles and improve existing articles about Nigeria/Africa on Wikivoyage.
- We organized writing and photography contests on bridging knowledge gaps about Nigerian destinations on Wikimedia Commons, Wikivoyage and Wikipedia.
Things to consider
When to use
When working on bridging content gaps on Wikivoyage.