Learning patterns/Wikiblabla (confusing Wikimedia lexicon)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A learning pattern fororganizational
created on11:02, 27 January 2015 (UTC)
What problem does this solve?
We want the people to use our lexicon correctly, but our lexicon is a large variety of assonant and compound words which consistently play with the 4 letters wiki.
What is the solution?
|Wiki||It is the web application used by Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects. Please note
|Wikipedia||The online well-known encyclopedia. Please note
|Wikimedia||It is the most inclusive word. It includes Wikipedia but also other projects created by the same people or with the same vision. The term Wikimedia includes also the Wikimedia Foundation and the formal and informal organizations and groups based in different nations and territories of the world.|
|Wikimedia Foundation||It is a registered institution. It is the institution which manages the servers, trademarks, fundraising of Wikipedia and the other websites.
|Wikimedia Chapter||It is a registered institution based in a country or in the specific area of a country. It is an independent association which is recognized by the Wikimedia Foundation.
|Wikimedia projects||Wikipedia is the most well-known and used Wikimedia projects (an encyclopedia), but there are other projects (each of them focusing on a specific typology of content - the name is pretty self-explanatory): Wiktionary (dictionary), Wikimedia Commons (images and videos - pretty weak on videos), Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikidata, Wikiversity, Wikiquote, Wikispecies, Wikinews, Wikivoyage (travel information).
|Wikimania||It is the annual international conference of the Wikimedia movement.|
|Commissions and juries||In general commissions and juries in the Wikimedia movement are made of international volunteers invited with an open call to join them. The call clarifies what people are expected to do, how long will it take them, and the requirement to join the commission or jury; members are asked to sign a policy (including confidentiality related to personal information) and often juries and commissions are managed by the Wikimedia Foundation or another related institution.
|Editor||Among the Wikimedia movement an editor is a person who writes on Wikipedia and/or other Wikipedia projects; also uploading images on Wikimedia Commons and contributing to discussion pages makes you an editor. In general an active editor is a person who contributes as a volunteer with at least 5 edits a month.|
|Wikipedian||A contributor of Wikipedia in any language. In general you need to write on wikipedia or contributing with edits (you can also add categories, discuss on talk pages, participating by managing a wikiproject...).|
|Bot||Bot stands for "robot" and it is a software application that runs automated tasks on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. The online Wikimedia ecosystem coexists with a lot of bots (managed by users); in particular Wikipedia linguistic editions and other projects with small communities have bots with a major role in contributing to content and management (monitoring vandalism, uploading datasets...).|
Things to consider
- In general if you want people to understand what you are talking about use the word Wikipedia: it is not correct, a lot of people in the Wikimedia movement might be irritated, but rhetorically we can consider it a synecdoche and it is advisable to produce a more efficient communication.
- People working in the communication of Wikimedia initiatives should at least be familiar with the different components, communities and organizational patterns of the Wikimedia movement. You can decide to use a term strategically, but you should not do it by mistake.
- It is important to attribute correctly content and work (by referring to Wikimedia Foundation instead of a specific online community and viceversa)
When to use
- To provide an overview of the Wikimedia movement and its lexicon to people working in the communication of Wikimedia initiatives.
- To check and review press communicates.
- Ehrhhgj 188.8.131.52 16:46, 12 August 2015 (UTC)
- Higuuftr 184.108.40.206 16:54, 12 August 2015 (UTC)
- Ugdahkn 220.127.116.11 16:55, 12 August 2015 (UTC)
- Uilliam 18.104.22.168 09:59, 20 August 2015 (UTC)
- ナカネコ (talk) 09:24, 30 October 2015 (UTC)
- This is really useful! Perhaps you should consider adding "Wikimedian" to the list:) Saintfevrier (talk) 22:55, 21 February 2016 (UTC)
- 學習與教育 Discovery119 (talk) 18:36, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- العاب 22.214.171.124 16:46, 25 November 2017 (UTC)
- قناة شليلة
منصة الرياض للتواصل الاجتماعي ترحبكم 126.96.36.199 09:42, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- Good job Divingthenanoboat (talk) 00:21, 25 May 2019 (UTC)
- Tyler 2601:404:C000:C020:952A:444D:46FC:EC98 15:12, 8 June 2020 (UTC)