Movement Strategy/Initiatives/Technology Council
You can read this page in your own language on the Movement Strategy Forum.
Coordinating Across Stakeholders requires creating a Technology Council to oversee the process of developing new technical features. Many significant software changes are approached without consultation or communication, which often leads to negative reactions and suboptimal integration of the new tools. The Technology Council can be a central entity made up of Wikimedia Foundation staff and technical contributors from the communities. The Council would improve communication, discuss technical changes, and make decisions to approve or reject their implementation.
- Create a Technology Council to establish processes for introducing new functionalities onto Wikimedia platforms and tools. The aim is to improve communication between staff developers and other technical contributors to better network, coordinate innovation, provide and obtain support, and foster input on decisions and resource allocations that impact communities.—
Join or start a discussion on Meta or the "Coordinate Across Stakeholders" space of the Movement Strategy Forum.
Apply for a Movement Strategy implementation grant to create a project that advances this initiative.
If you need help in getting involved, please don't hesitate to get in touch directly with members of the Movement Strategy and Governance Team. They are here to help!
You can write to the team in any of 19 languages (listed on the team's page), by writing an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Initiative||Project||Stakeholder type||Project lead||Geography of the project||Implementation Phase|
|31. Technology Council (for improved communication, coordination and support)||Overall Initiative Coordination|
|31. Technology Council (for improved communication, coordination and support)|
Related documents and discussions
Some of the past discussions, texts and old versions of Movement Strategy recommendations that can provide further context to this initiative:
- Product & Technology recommendation #1: Evaluate and Decentralize Technology Components
- Product & Technology recommendation #2: Support Community Decision-making
- Product & Technology recommendation #3: Open Product Proposal Process
- Product & Technology recommendation #4: Deployment Council
- Product & Technology recommendation #8: Movement Technology Ethics Review Process
- Governance and Collaboration in the Wikimedia Development Ecosystem (2019)
- Wikimedia Technical Committee (2014)