Fundraising/2019-20 Fundraising ideas
Welcome everyone to the Fundraising Ideas page!
Here's what you can do:
- Take a look at our existing banners and suggest an iterative change. These are the easiest to test. Think about:
- Changes in style
- New sentences or changes to sentences
- New layouts
- Suggest something bold! These are more difficult and will take time to test since they require more planning, time and resources
- New payment methods
- New banner functionality
Current Control Banners
These banners are our current best. They are what we test our ideas against.
- (Large banners are shown only once per browser/per app)
Social Media Ideas
Fundraising and Comms are looking for suggestions for social media. We want to get people talking about the Wikimedia Projects, why it's important, the impact it has and something ultimately developed with community members. What ideas have you got?
We need your help: Story Ideas
We want to hear stories that represent why Wikipedia is important for you and the world.
- Template to use
* '''Username:''' ~~~
* '''Interface Email Link:''' [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:EmailUser/USERNAME Email me here]
* '''Your story:'''
Submit your story:
- Username: User:Seddon
- Interface Email Link: Email me here
- Your story: Wikipedia enabled me to understand my fathers illness. It helped me to come to terms with something in a way no doctor ever could
Story suggestion 2
- Username: James Salsman
- Contact: User talk:James Salsman or email as below
- Your story: As a prospective contributor, I would like to be asked for alternatives to a $3 cup of coffee as follows.
- Recommended Fundraising Message Performance Indicators: (Context: "If everyone reading this gave $(total/175000) then we would have __goal__.")
- $B to pay for server and support expenses necessary take a typical article to Start Class
- $G to pay market rate for what it might cost to hire a commercial editor to draft a typical article in accordance with Good Article status
- $W to pay for the server, database, and support staff necessary to add a multi-cognate word to Wiktionary
- $C to commission a voice- and pronunciation remediation-enabled version of the Climate0 sustainability quest recommendation game in the 4+tolchirp instructional branching scenario content format
- $V to commission a custom audio recording of a discussion about how Scooby, a talking dog, was right in front of the Mystery Machine team all the time, to be released under the CC-BY-SA-4 license on Wikimedia Commons
- $L to commission twelve Amazon Mechanical Turk transcripts and one novel student audio recording attempt for a web pronunciation remediation system to be released under the Apache License 2.0 in Mozilla Common Voice (or at least linked from an issue in their GitHub.)
- $P to convert one page of PHP to Python
- $T to commission a zero pixel caller-pays (e.g. 1-900) Asterisk, Twilio, and/or Ringcentral telephony pronunciation remediation application
- $A to commission a general pulseaudio-compatible speech recognition-based virtual assistant chatbot pronunciation remediation extension
- $M to inform the Spoken Language Interest Group (SLIG) about new on-line cost-effective pronunciation remediation tools and opportunities to obtain them
- $D to commission general diphone scoring and remediation responses for pronunciation remediation systems
- $N to commission a general tone feature extraction system for an Indo-European pronunciation remediation system, to support Mandarin, Cantonese, and Vietnamese
- $H to pay all Wikimedia Foundation server, hosting, and support expenses for one hour
- $I to analyze the speech of one utterance with a web pronunciation assessment API.
- Recommend also stating fine print, "Disclaimer: estimates based on incomplete information, e.g., globally international purchasing power parity conversions, so there is NO GUARANTEE OF ACCURACY," until such time as the Research Department fact-checks the estimate(s). If you email Jim at SpeakClearly dot info, or leave your estimate in a sub-bullet point below, I will use the median estimates unless I believe they may not be in their respective 95% confidence intervals. I will try to have first draft estimates up by December 3. James Salsman (talk) 06:52, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
Country/Language specific test ideas
Feedback: Ideas that are culturally specific to a country or a language
More timely appeals based on the timing of each country's financial (fiscal) year
It is common for fundraisers to run one of their larger donation appeals for the year just before the end of a financial (or fiscal) year. Financial years differ across countries. For example, the financial year in the USA, United Kingdom and Australia are all different. Appeals by Wikipedia could be made more timely by targeting these countries just prior to the end of their financial year.
Feedback: Cookies, payment flows, central notice, banner targeting
Feedback: Banner and Email design elements
Communication to community
Feedback: Community communication, involvement and engagement
- Please see Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Programs and events/Assist Wikimedians with crowdfunding -- this is a way for Wikimedians to set up their own fundraising outreach. Please endorse it. James Salsman (talk) 07:51, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
Updated Jimbo message
There is an opportunity here to update this statement and mention the Wikimedia movement as a whole, alongside the other Wikimedia projects. Mention that the Wikimedia movement originated with Wikipedia, but has since grown substantially, and that not only is there a free encyclopedia, but also free image and other media repositories (Commons), free dictionaries (Wiktionary), free repositories of historically important sources (Wikisource), free knowledge databases (Wikidata), free tree of life projects (Wikispecies), and the like.
Likewise, a statement that funding doesn't only go for tech and keeping things running, but also towards [insert a couple of strategic goals], including collaborations with GLAM, outreach, helping Wikimedia chapters, or whatever else it is you do with that $100M you get.
This would also apply during the banner design state of fundraising campaigns.