Programs & Events Dashboard/Using the Dashboard/Starting new programs/Creating a new event
Starting New Programs: Creating a New Event
To create an event, click the “Create a New Program +” button in your “My Dashboard” menu. This will allow you to fill out a form with the following fields:
- Program title (Required) -- a title which describes the program or event concisely - Once recorded this information cannot be edited
- Institution (Required) -- a field used to describe the host for the program - Once recorded this information cannot be edited
- in Education Program style events, it should be the institution hosting the class participating in the program
- in Editathon style events, this can describe the organization or institution hosting the event
- for other program types, try to be consistent in how you organize your own events, to improve future re-discoverability of the event
- Home language -- the language prefix that will be most used for contributions (must select only one language. Contributions from all Wikimedia language projects (except Wikidata) are included in the program, but the article selector tool will use this home language as default and changes to the language prefix must be made manually for each article.)
- Home project -- the project suffix used for the principle organizing project (supports only one project. (As for home language above, contributions from all projects (except Wikidata) will be included, but the article selector tool will use the home project as default, changes to the project must be made manually for each article.)
- Program Description -- free text field that can include long strings of text. We suggest that program descriptions include:
- Copyable links to on-wiki organizing pages
- A description of the basic logistics for the event
- The program password, if you want the event to be open for registration to anyone who visits the program page (or instructions for getting the password if you want the event to be closed).
- Copyable links to on-wiki trainings or guidance material that will strengthen participant engagement -- especially important if working with new contributors to the projects, such as during education programs or editathons with new volunteers.
- Start Date (Required) -- use the calendar selector or type in a date in the YYYY-MM-DD format. Especially if the event is during a window of time with other similar events, make sure to specify HH:MM.
- End Date (Required) -- use the calendar selector or type in a date in the YYYY-MM-DD format. Especially if the event is during a window of time with other similar events, make sure to specify HH:MM.
- Note: you can update all of this information except for the title and institution after you create the event. If you make a mistake in either the title or the institution, you can delete the program until a participant is added to the program, then you have to ask a Dashboard admin to delete it for you by emailing dashboardwikimediacom.
Once you fill out the form, and click “Create my Program!” you will create the page, and as a program leader, will be able to keep updating the program page as needed.