Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Balochi
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Balochi|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||bal (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Balochi||Language name in English|
|Language name||بلوچی||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33049 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||RTL||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||وێکیپێدیا||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Balochi is a Northwestern Iranian language. It is the principal language of the Baloch of Balochistan It is also spoken as a second language by Brahuis. It is designated as one of nine official languages of Pakistan and also on of Iranian ethnic languages. Yet there is no single project for this language (which has over 15 million speaker)in Iran - Pakitan- Oman - Turkmenistan - Afghanistan - Gulf States - Sweden and other countries. This project will use Urdu Arabic script-based alphabet. The first collection of poetry in Balochi, Gulbang by Mir Gul Khan Nasir was published in 1951 and incorporated the Urdu Arabic Script. But it was much later that Sayad Zahurshah Hashemi wrote a comprehensive guidance on the usage of Urdu Arabic script and standardized it as the Balochi Orthography in Pakistan. This earned Sayad Hashemi the title of 'the Father of Balochi'. Sayad's guidances are widely used in Eastern and Western Balochistan. In Afghanistan, however, Balochi is written in a modified Arabic script based on what is used for Farsi.. We are a group of Baloch writers determined to make this project a persuasive one. We appreciate Wikipedia administration cooperation.
After getting no response (either in favor or against) from the administrators of Wikipedia, i tried to request for the Eastern Balochi (bgp) test project. But that lead me back to this page. I wonder whether one shall produce content with Wp/bal/ prefix or wait until administrators reach to any conclusion? Or, we add pages to Wp/bgp/ prefix? And, what will be the fate of those content pages once any particular request is declined? -- Imdadb 07:23, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
- You might want to merge Requests for new languages//Wikipedia Balochi into this. --Jura1 (talk) 16:10, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- @Jura1: and Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Balochi (macrolanguage) ditto. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 01:23, 30 January 2017 (UTC)
- Now this request is already 10th anniversary, but still nothing happened yet. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 07:25, 3 February 2020 (UTC)
Arguments in favour
- The current Souther Balochi (bcc) test wiki is in Arabic script. It will be better if test wiki with Latin script is initiated. Speakers of the language living in diaspora and bulk of the speakers of the Eastern dialect would prefer Latin. --Imdadb 18:27, 28 June 2010 (UTC)
- The Dilemma of Balochi Wikipedia: What i notice is that the language being used in bcc (Southern Balochi) test wiki is not the Southern dialect itself. All of the content is in Western (much more Persian) dialect. Baloch (the user requesting for another test wiki for Balochi) speaks the Southern dialect. We (our family) is also bilingual, second language at our home is Balochi (the Eastern dialect). I also support the effort of some people for standardizing Latin script for Balochi language. Please solve the dilemma and give opportunity to this group of a people (mostly belonging to Southern dialect and some of them with Eastern dialect) to form a joint wiki for them using Latin script. Regards, --Imdadb 11:48, 3 July 2010 (UTC)
- I will support a unified Balochi Wikipedia. The community can discuss the vocabulary and other issues later on.--Satdeep Gill (talk) 17:11, 21 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Satdeep Gill: Doubtful, if by checking an archived discussion of your talk page, it seems that there are having very big differents between Eastern, Southern and Western Balochi, I would second that guy that differents between these three are like differents between French, German and Spanish (that guy also claims that the differents are like "rugby, football and soccer" which made me nervous). --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 06:19, 16 June 2020 (UTC)
I will support western balucbi language test wiki I have a notice this notice is All baluchi dialect add on Official Baluchi language at bal. 184.108.40.206 10:46, 1 January 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose The bal is a macrolanguage code which is itself confusing, we don't yet know how this Wp/bal is writting in which form, Eastern? Western or Southern? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 04:39, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose Per @Liuxinyu970226:, this is wrong behavior to start a macrolanguage project when member language codes are already available. --220.127.116.11 22:39, 18 December 2019 (UTC)