Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Kanikkaran
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Kanikkaran|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||kev (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Kanikkaran||Language name in English|
|Language name||கன்னி மொழி||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q6363201 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||ethnologue, globalrecordings, joshuaproject, Kani People, Kani language article||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Arguments in favour
- Support Support It is a distinct Dravidian language. It is spoken by nearly 20,000 people in Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, India. All above its my mother tongue. I can happy to contribute and develop this project and I can ask my friends and my community members to be part of it. Many written books and publications are made available, especially Bibles, Kani songs, and medicinal books. Therefore this language deserves a wikipedia domain.--Winayan 19:52, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
- Support Strong Support: Native speakers of Kanikkaran have the competency and willingness to contribute to this project in the long-term. Hence the Kani language deserves to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikipedia along with the existing Dravidian languages such as Tamil, Kannada, and so on. --Jose77 03:52, 20 November 2009 (UTC)
- Support Strong Support: I do support for the Kani language as it is one of the Dravidian language and has all potential to be part of Wiki domain. --Jai Kumara Yesappa 15:43, 20 November 2009 (UTC)
- Support Strong Support: I do support for the Kani language Wikipedia. Accordng to my knowledge it is the first language which use Modern Tamil Script as their script also.--தென்காசி சுப்பிரமணியன் (talk) 19:45, 5 September 2014 (UTC)