Saving Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Online
This is the page for Wikimedia volunteer response to the Saving Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Online effort (SUCHO). The project aims to work together to identify and archive at-risk sites, digital content, and data in Ukrainian cultural heritage institutions while the country is under attack. The participants are using a combination of technologies to crawl and archive sites and content, including the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine, the Browsertrix crawler and the ArchiveWeb.page browser extension and app of the Webrecorder project.
You can sign up for the project on their page or join their Slack server after registering on their form.
On this page we can share and coordinate activities that the Wikimedia community can do.
Tasks to do on Wikimedia projects
List below tasks that would be useful help from Wikimedians in the process. It is not necessary to sign up in this project.
Add and check website and social media addresses. Find up-to-date website addresses for museums.
- List of museums in TABernacle
- Wiki page
- Links to Wikipedia articles and pages in all Wikimedia projects
Help bring monuments, architecture & public art to Wikidata.
- List of monuments and their subclasses in Ukraine
- TABernacle page to add translations and other data to monuments
Create / edit / translate most wanted articles
- Ukraine's Cultural Diplomacy Month 2022
- Update any language Wikipedia article sources and external links using the correct *.ua links for organizations. It helps archiving those sites.
- Top 100 missing Articles about Ukrainian women in English. You can localize the list to your language following these instruction. And you can create similar pages for other topics.
- Top 100 missing articles about museums.
How to translate
- To prepare yourself and your working environment for translating, watch this video.
- In the list of Wikidata items (one of the above pages), choose the topic that you wish to translate an article about.
- Locate the list of Wikipedia articles on the Wikidata page and choose one that looks good for you as a source for translation.
- When you translate, pay special attention to checking that references are valid, they work, and they are well formatted. Rewrite machine translation, verify the sources, check that the article complies with local Wikipedia practices.
Help you can offer Wikimedians
Add below how you could help other Wikimedians in their tasks. It is not necessary to sign up in this project.
- Scraping data from websites, creating sparql queries, updating Wikidata. – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas)
- Helping to assist in running Docker or bridging what the GLAM Wiki community can do. - Fuzheado (talk) 16:04, 3 March 2022 (UTC)
- Enthusiasm! Also involved with projects Women in Red, Archaeology and Museums Lajmmoore (talk) 10:21, 9 March 2022 (UTC)
- Looking for where to really plug in energy Danidamiobi (talk) 14:34, 10 March 2022 (UTC)