Steward for African language Wikipedias
It would be very useful if there were a steward for Wikipedia projects in African languages.
On many Wikipedias most of the edits are done by bots, but these bots aren't marked as such. It would be beneficial for these projects to have one person who is allowed to mark bots as such.
- When you are a bureaucrat, you can do it on a specific project. When you are a steward you can do it on ANY project. When we as a group think it would be beneficial to have an African steward, we could go for this and this would be really helpful because you would just give the bot flag if it makes sense without too much bureacracy.
Do we want an African steward?
- Guaka 20:40, 17 June 2007 (UTC), is sysop on bm, ff and wo, and is strongly for having an African steward
- GerardM 00:26, 18 June 2007 (UTC) There is a group of people who are active and organised and care for African Wikipedias. It would be beneficial when they can organise themselves better, a Steward that focuses on African languages would help.
- Oliver 18 June 2007 - very much in favour! See my proposal for a candidate below.
- moyogo, admin on ln.wikipedia
- A12n (talk) 19:20, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
- Yes, definitely. I was underage when I first applied (a long time ago), but chances are I can apply in the near future. grrr... 16:05, 28 November 2014 (UTC) ; admin on mg.wikipedia, mg.wiktionary. Native speaker of Malagasy.
- Guaka is only a candidate if no one else steps forward. Please remove him from this list if there is another candidate.
Hey, Guaka, just for the record, Stewards are not for only a group of languages. The current stewards are willing to help. If you want to become steward, you will have to wait untill new elections will be held. Untill now, that was once a year, at the end of the year. I hope this clearifies why this page is not really of use. Thanks, Effeietsanders 20:45, 17 June 2007 (UTC)
I Agree with Effeietsanders, and I can confirm that all the Stewards can be of help, if necessary. --M/ 20:48, 17 June 2007 (UTC)
- Stewards typically insist on a lot of bureaucracy. This is necessary when you want to cover "all" languages. It would be helpfull if there was less bureaucracy. It is exactly the bureaucracy that makes asking stewards less effective then we hope them to be. Thanks, GerardM 00:29, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
- What if we just start a list of bots here on this page, and stewards can directly do something about it? I.e. own layer of bureaucracy. :) Guaka 09:33, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
- I'm proposing Samuel Klein who is a steward already, in addition to being an admin on Swahili wikipedia. Oliver