Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program/Support/Nizil Shah
- Wikipedia username
- Nizil Shah
- Email (optional)
- I joined Wikipedia nine years ago but became active in 2012. The chief reason behind being involved in Wikipedia was lack of content on Indian topics, especially Gujarat and Gujarati language, on English Wikipedia which naturally expanded to Gujarati Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and later to other projects. Knowledge sharing has been a chief motivation since then. I have around 78400+ Global edits.
- English Wikipedia: I have created more than 400 articles and updated/expanded about the same number of articles on English Wikipedia. My focus has been topics like history, geography, politics, culture, literature, language, writers and personalities of Gujarat and India. I have 33000+ edits (85% in Main Space) here with around 8000 edits last year (average size of edit being 228.4 bytes). I have rollbacker/reviewer rights. I have trained and helped several editors. (())
- Gujarati Wikipedia: I am active in Gujarati Wikipedia, mostly translating (to and from), correcting, cleaning up articles. I have 1600+ edits there with average size of edit being 302.3 bytes. I have been actively involved in discussions there and connecting it with Wikidata.()
- Wikimedia Commons: I have uploaded/curated more than 1600 images/files on Commons. I specifically categorise and arrange images there. I have been involved in importing Public Domain images from open sources. I have File Mover rights there.
- Wikidata: I have been enthusiastic about Wikidata since its inception and had been Administrator there. I am focused on helping smaller Wikipedias through Wikidata especially Gujarati Wikipedia. Indian topics have been interest there. I have imported large number of links and property values from Gujarati Wikipedia to Wikidata and reverse. I have more than 35000+ edits on Wikidata.
- Recently I have been also involved in Gujarati Wikisource (200+ edits), English Wikivoyage and English Wiktionary. In Wiktionary, I am particularity focused on Gujarati words.
I started editing from friend's laptop when I was studying. Later I edited from smartphone for about year. I later borrowed laptop from my sister from which I am still contributing. This laptop is 6 years old and runs only on AC power due to poor battery life. I wanted to buy new laptop but could not because I started my new venture last year and was facing financial constraints. I had to stay content with my old laptop. If I receive support, I will be able to contribute more in upcoming years without worrying about my aging laptop, its dead battery and future laptop cost. I will be able to do power and RAM consuming automated bulk edits on Wikidata which I have not been able to do much so far due to condition of my laptop.
Apart from continued editing in Gujarati and English Wikipedia, I will be also focusing on other sister projects. Gujarati/English Wiktionary (and upcoming structured Wiktionary) and Commons (Structured Commons) are the projects of my interest. So I will be seen editing there more often. I will be playing more role in Gujarati Wikisource which needs attention and editors. I am looking forward to bulk edits in Wikidata (which has also effects on several sister projects) and leveraging Gujarati Wikipedia with it. Once Structured Wiktionary becomes operational, I want to create largest semantic open source Gujarati dictionary with its help. Till then, I will be actively involved in English Wiktionary where I will be adding Gujarati words. I will be expanding my areas of editing in Wikipedia such as Medicine, Education, Computer Science and Arts. I also want develop technical skills and help Wikipedia with it. I will be training more editors and making more people aware of Wikipedia editing especially in institutes and colleges.
Community discussion and endorsements
Please keep the discussion friendly, and note number of endorsement may not be the only way to assess an application's merit
- Strong support. He played key role in the development of Gujarat related topics on Wikipedia. I learned all about Wikipedia under his guideline and still working under his guideline. He also helped several other editors like me. --Gazal world (talk) 18:01, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Candidate has a strong and dedicated goal statement. Gryllida 22:42, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support. Nizil's articles are of excellent quality and his work on Wikidata is awesome. With laptop, he should be able to contribute easily and more frequently during travel too. --KartikMistry (talk) 03:14, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --Sushant savla (talk)|
- Deserving Candidate. Strong support ---- Sankoswal (talk) 12:11, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- ☺️ Innocentbunny (talk) 21:16, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support He is active on English Wikipedia and commons, I am sure community members from these wikis will support him as well. I, being active on Gujarati Wiki, can endorse his participation on off wiki mediums, e.g. our whatsapp group. I am sure he will be able to contribute more if he recieved support.--DhavalTalk 17:05, 15 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --J. Ansari Talk 13:58, 16 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --Fasal ul Abid (talk)|
- Support--Sugeesh (talk) 17:58, 26 February 2018 (UTC)