It emerges from this report that there is a lot of room for support from the online ambassadors, and I'm trying to better understand what has happened and still needs to happen for this semesters. Some useful information to capture might be:
- Did the online ambassadors identify the problems themselves?
- Did you (Everton) reach out to the ambassadors to raise awareness? How?
- How effective are the online ambassadors at preserving articles or improving content?
- Are the online ambassadors interacting with the students directly?
- Are the online ambassadors involved aside from the crisis situations? I.e., are they helping to improve the articles that have not yet been deleted, too?
- Sometimes yes. We have also the cases: online ambassadors contacted by students by emails, talk pages and forum in the Moodle system. I also contacted ambassadors through the general ambassadors talk page and a few times directly.
- Awareness about what?
- All cases reported show they are effective, but there were a few cases.
- If by directly you mean talking to students using talk pages and emails, yet, they are when they see it is needed. Same for campus ambassadors, which includes personal contact in some cases.
- I haven't seen yet much improvements by online ambassadors, but there are some. Edits are beginning and some articles are under the professor evaluation.
- --Tom (talk) 19:04, 16 May 2012 (UTC)
- I have question: How much we can help students with their articles, regard to the wiki-code? Can we help then to put their text more encyclopaedic? are teachers expecting such help? Are students waiting for such help, directly at the text without asking and suggesting before? Ok. four questions.OTAVIO1981 (talk) 17:11, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
Update on the deletion resolution
It is so awesome that the issue with the deletion is already resolved! I am eager to capture HOW the mistake in deletion was caught and resolved. Who pointed out the potential mistake to ER20? Did s/he initiate the apology to the student by himself, or did someone else? This is great! Jwild (talk) 21:20, 15 May 2012 (UTC)
- Online ambassador Chicocvenancio pointed out mistake to the proponent !Silent that agreed that wasn't the cases. Admin FSogumo restored fisrt two edits that was deleted. I apologize to Cinthia about this misunderstanding. Article is in the main domain being edit regularly by other editors like FSogumo, !Silent, Everton137 and Nelson Teixeira. I asked in discussion page if it's necessary to move to a professor's subpage.OTAVIO1981 (talk) 21:33, 15 May 2012 (UTC)
- Also I and Chicocvenancio were informed through the forum in Moodle used by students of this discipline - there are other two online ambassadors there. In the bots case, I was seeing the historic or the articles and noticed them. The is a case when the campus ambassador was informed by email. --Tom (talk) 19:07, 16 May 2012 (UTC)
I checked all students contributions and there wasn't any deleted contribution. I restored and merged "Modelos de política cultural" contributions of student Hugoarruda1. Everton saved his text by copy-paste before. OTAVIO1981 (talk) 21:37, 15 May 2012 (UTC)
- Otavio, what if we didn't have an admin to quickly help to restore these deleted contributions, how would we do it? Just imagine if we had 5 cases in an aproximmate time. They are just 33 in the Wikipedia in Portuguese. --Tom (talk)
- We must explain to students that misunderstandings can happens and all information saved can be restored. The best and fastest option is get in touch with a campus or online ambassador explaining what happened and wait for a answer. That's a very important part: be patience and wait. I'm confident that we are able to provide an answer to the student in less than 24 hours which I think it's enough. It would be great to have more admins helping as ambassadors but it's easy to ask for their help when necessary. Unfortunately, this kind of problem will happen more times and I guess there's no solution because no one is online 24h. Solve as fast as possible it's the best answer to students and the only one workable to us. OTAVIO1981 (talk) 17:02, 17 May 2012 (UTC)