Archive of discussions on Talk:Goings-on in 2007.
How do you add newer news? never mind, I give up (1)
I'm looking at this page and thinking how true, why go to an encyclpedia for a definition of a word, and note that the page has been "transwikied". Wikitionary is where word definitions belong.
I looked at the Sinbad page and note that news is or was being reported at Wikipedia, when it doesn't belong there. News belongs on Wikinews.
I look at Wikinews and I see the article Universities ban Wikipedia as primary source and think that the participatory focus should be distributed to the proper sister projects so that these projects would churn what ultimately would become more reliable source material for Wikipedia.
The stain delivered to Wikipedia's Sinbad erroneous death report entry would have been immediately addressed by Wikinews if the arrival of the news was sent to the sister project best attuned to deal with.
If the big brother of Wikimedia uses the resources of it's sister projects, the finished reliability and quality of its content can be improved. -Edbrown05 08:04, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
- What's this got to do with "Goings-on"? This page is to discuss what the main "article" page itself, not what is going on currently. -- Zanimum 17:00, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
- "If the big brother of Wikimedia uses the resources of it's sister projects" Um, also, the Wikimedia Foundation doesn't usually get involved in content. It's individual users. -- Zanimum 17:01, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
How do you add newer news? (2)
a new proposal for "Wiki Community College" is up, please review and comment (couldnt figure out how to get this on the main goings-on page, anyone who could move it there would be ok) -- 220.127.116.11 08:02, 14. Jun. 2007 (UTC) signature of IP added later! --Marbot 20:04, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
- Hello, was it you who added this comment? However, I added the proposal on Goings-on for you. Best regards --Marbot 20:04, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
- Hello Chris, I am sure that the “Wikimedia Foundation Inc.” or its local chapters would be eligible for this. However, I am not sure if they are still the target group for “Google Grants”. I suggest you go to the Metapub and ask there for more opinions. Thank you and best regards. --Marbot 20:39, 23 July 2007 (UTC)
"... Data will not presently be refreshed."
A number of the special pages on every wiki are now suddenly showing the following message:
"Updates for this page are currently disabled. Data here will not presently be refreshed."
This includes a number of special pages that I frequently make use of, especially Special:wantedpages (the list of top redlinks for each wiki).
These pages on every wiki were last updated early on Sep. 3rd (yesterday). I take this message to mean they are going to have those same results of Sep. 3rd showing for a very long time now. I also assume there has been some change to the software, but I cannot find any explanation or discussion of this "goings-on" anywhere. Can anyone please help out here?? Thanks, Blockinblox 21:24, 4 September 2007 (UTC)
- I take it nobody really answers any questions around here... Blockinblox 20:45, 9 September 2007 (UTC)
- What makes you think that nobody really answers any questions around here? As far as I can see every post on this discussion page received a reply within a week. To me it seems to be more a matter of impatience. However, I suppose your kind of “goings-on” is not the kind of “goings-on” to be discussed here. Thus I suggest to ask here for news and information in this matter. Best regards --Marbot 17:35, 10 September 2007 (UTC)
- Geez, do you think you could possibly be a little snippier? What is it with people around here, that you have to be so smarmier-than-thou and bureaucratic, ALL the time??? WHO are you trying to impress anyway??? How many "points" did you just "score" at my expense??? Talk about "user unfriendly"...! Just getting a straight answer to a simple question around here (still unanswered), is about as pleasant as getting a tooth extracted!!! Blockinblox 20:42, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
Under Older Goings-on, in July 4, it says "Wikimedia Taiwan is been approved by the Foundation as one of its local chapters." It should of course say "Wikimedia Taiwan is approved..." instead. Also, most of the news items here are in the present tense, but a few are in the past tense or past perfect tense (I think that's what it's called). Someone should go in and convert them all to present tense. -- 18.104.22.168 00:01, 7. Okt. 2007 (UTC) Added signature. --Marbot 17:12, 10 October 2007 (UTC)
- Thank you for your advice which is appreciated. I will try to make some changes according to your proposal. The reason for the inconsitency in tenses is that a lot of people from all over the world edit this page and thus support Goings-on on META-WIKI. A lot of them, including myself, are not native speakers. --Marbot 17:19, 10 October 2007 (UTC)
Please add news of new proposal
- Hello Derrick, it is possible to edit the respective template without having admin-rights. However, I have added it for you whilst I was at it :-) --Marbot 22:05, 29 October 2007 (UTC)
- Thank you! --Derrick 22:10, 29 October 2007 (UTC)
- + ...in nomination "Sciense and Education"... --Kaganer 12:10, 30 November 2007 (UTC)