Talk:Idea Workshop 2017 (Wikimedia CH)
- registration on wiki is not possible, or is there a possiblity to see who is coming? but it is good that you use a safe space policy, olten is close to an atomic power plant and for sure coffee is hotter than 60 degrees and can burn your fingers ;) --ThurnerRupert (talk) 06:35, 15 May 2017 (UTC)
The idea of Idea Workshops (no pun intended)
I fully support the idea of organizing an Idea Workshop 2017, and I remain convinced that our chapter must work out a strategy in a collaborative manner. The chapter board will then be able to fine-tune this strategy, make sure that it stays within the WMF framework and supervise the way the staff implements it.
I was not able to participate in the first workshop in 2016 as I was in Senegal doing work on my project involving the use of Kiwix in schools and universities. I will not attend the 2017 edition of this Idea Workshop on May 20th for the reason detailed below:
- First of all, the 2017 WMCH Idea Workshop was scheduled for May 6th 2017. The date was changed and the new date was announced on May 5th! I had blocked the scheduled date on my agenda, and was still a bit undecided as to my actual participation. Unfortunately, I cannot free up a Saturday on such short a notice so I will not be present at Olten.
- As a side remark, I notice that there is another WMCH sponsored activity scheduled for May 20th (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProjekt_Schweiz/Atelier) as mentioned on the German discussion page on May 4th. There is no answer posted there…
- The WMCH General Assembly on April 10th was marred and disrupted by the inexcusable rude behaviour of one of the Swiss chapter members. This member verbally attacked, slandered and defamed two board candidates (I was one of the unfortunate victims), and he implied that the WMCH board and staff shared his opinion (in spite of the fact that he was no longer a board member). WMCH is now deciding to adopt a “Safe Space policy” similar to the one that the WMF imposes anyway during all officially sanctioned Chapter activities. This policy covers sexual harassment but does not specifically talk about insults, slander or libel. I have written to the board about this, but received no answer to date. I am sorry, but I am not willing to end up as somebody’s verbal punching ball.
- I was not able to attend the 2016 Idea Workshop as I was in Africa. I could have attended remotely, but it had been decided that nothing was to be done online during this Workshop. I was not alone in regretting this decision as it would have enabled a much larger participation of our members. If WMCH decides to renew such a Workshop, could we open it to online participation?
- My African project (Outreach report: West African schools will test Kiwix...) involves the use of the Kiwix offline Wikipedia reader by school teachers in Senegal, as well as in other local community computer training centers. This in fact corresponds to two of WMCH’s priorities which are Education and Offline access. I was informed at the April 10th General Assembly that the Kiwix organization has put me on a blacklist, and their spokesperson claimed that they de not to trust me. What is the point of me going to this Idea Workshop if my ideas and projects are simply ignored?
- I have been trying out different methods of distributing Kiwix in Africa over the past 4 years, and have reported at length on my 2016 trip to Senegal. How can I share my ideas and experience with the rest of the Swiss community, and with the worldwide Kiwix community?
- I am an active member of WMCH but my projects - both the Outreach project using Kiwix and the work I do with my students at school - were ignored by the WMCH board and were not mentioned in the WMCH newsletter. Does this mean that I am also blacklisted by the board?
- As a school teacher, I have close to 10 years experience having students contribute to Wikipedia. WMCH has decided that one of their priorities is education. How can I share my ideas and experience on this subject?
I could go on, but I do not wish to dwell on past failures. I am interested in going forward and in building up a community. I therefore request that the 2017 Idea Workshop serve as one of the starting points for an online discussion involving the entire Swiss community. Those members who are not able to participate on May 20th should be allowed to input their ideas as well, and their ideas should carry as much weight as those proposed during the meeting in Olten. GastelEtzwane (talk) 14:35, 19 May 2017 (UTC)