on promoting bureaucrats: proposal for a new guideline
imho we need more than just a number of supporting voters to promote anyone to bureaucrat access on a wiki where there are none, perhaps something completely different.
one of my own rules of thumb i kept for years, but couldn't as yet detect in the recent discussions, so i decided to first bring this up here:
- never promote a single user as first bureaucrat on a wiki which has none: let there always be at least two to start.
the reason and rationale = built-in cooperation incentive, and avoidance of any hint of "rulership"
it might also be a good idea to choose to always require a minimum of 2 bc's per wiki, but such things can hardly be followed by stewards. oscar 00:59, 9 February 2010 (UTC)
- I think it is best to focus the discussion on Talk:Bureaucrat#Minimum_number_of_votes. Effeietsanders 11:14, 9 February 2010 (UTC)
Group permission management
- This is not used on Wikimedia wikis. We use CentralAuth, which allows changing global group permissions but not local ones. PiRSquared17 (talk) 18:05, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
Section "CheckUser Information"
The note "Note: The German Wikipedia requests that absolutely all CheckUser queries must be announced on de:Wikipedia:Checkuser/Anfragen ..." is correct, but not every CheckUser request must be announced in advance, exceptions are:
- If sensitive data (non-public data, i.e. CU results from other wikis) is required for an investigation, a mail through the wikimail interface sent to a german checkuser is possible. The checkuser can decide if
- he acts upon the mail request and publish the results in accordance with the WMF policy or
- he publishes an anonymized announcement at de:Wikipedia:Checkuser/Anfragen and checks later (mostly in less urgent cases and if it's not tricky).
- On WP:OFFICE actions (after checking, Staff report it at de:Wikipedia:Checkuser/Anfragen, otherwise a local checkuser based on the checkuser log)
In any way, the "strong" rules of the german-speaking community have to be respected (i.e. obvious misuse like cheating the community must be declared). --Filzstift (talk) 09:13, 30 September 2014 (UTC)