- I don't oppose to put the template, but prefer to keep any links on the page. --Aphaia 04:30, 28 August 2007 (UTC)
- Greeves, That sounds like a "Yes, please go ahead and put the template on the page". Cary Bass demandez 12:28, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
Hello, my two questions are:
- Is there any policy on rotation of continents for organizing this conference? (I mean: America, Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia/Oceania organizing it once in five years)?
- Would it be possible to announce bids starting a year ahead instead of 10 days? (Of course, I realize there's still a year for actual organization).
Rationale behind both questions: preparations could include facilities for the less fortunate to join the party, that is, fund raising to make it possible for the smaller wikipedias to participate; maybe even to promote their activity. Thanks, - Art Unbound 22:08, 28 August 2007 (UTC)
- In response to question 1, I don't think there is a policy, but the jury almost definitely will take this into account when they pick the city. In response to question 2, I think that's going to change pretty soon. The location for Wikimania 2009 might be chosen pretty soon after WM'08 is announced. You may also want to post these questions on the the mailing list to get more feedback. Cbrown1023 talk 00:26, 29 August 2007 (UTC)
Would the Jury committee consider a late application for San Francisco, CA? I'm afraid our team missed the initial call for open bids, but we can put our proposal together over the next 24 hours if the Jury committee will consider it. Malpern 05:28, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
- It could be argued that it was still August 30 in San Francisco when you left this question and the we notified that bidding was closed. Give is time to consult. Cary Bass demandez 13:43, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
- I think at this point there is a general consensus among the moderators that the deadline was pretty clearly pointed out to be midnight, August 30, (UTC). I'm going to say I'm sorry, but we feel that it would not be fair to the existing bids to permit any new bids after that point.. By all means, we encourage you to bid for Wikimania 2009! Cary Bass demandez 21:37, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
On July 7, Jeandré went around asking if each bid would be carbon neutral. How critical is this to the jury? Toronto's bid features many green aspects such as environmental programs within the host university and all facilities within walking distance, and attractions accessible quickly by streetcar or subway.
But to plant trees to combat the carbon emissions of flights taken by visitors, just seems to be an unnecessary expense. Are we expected to consider such aspects? Is Jeandre part of the judging committee? Do other jurors have this noble but perhaps frivolous (for a cash-strapped charity) concept in their minds? -- Zanimum 14:46, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- All the jurors are listed at Wikimania 2008/Jury. He doesn't seem to be my colleague. --Aphaia 14:57, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reply, I'm generally unable to connect usernames and real names of Wikimedians, so I didn't know for sure. -- Zanimum 15:24, 13 September 2007 (UTC)
Public chat meeting
May we please know what time this public chat meeting is scheduled for? I ask because I'm going up to Atlanta to plan for the bid in person and I will be returning to Tampa on September 23, and will be in the car and away from the internet for seven hours. Since I'm the person who started our respective bid, I think it's important that I'm there, and I don't want to miss it at all. Can someone get back to me on this? Mike Halterman 10:21, 16 September 2007 (UTC)
Hi everyone, im just here to say that any wikimeta or wikipedian etc members from the area of Melbourne Australia can help me with wikimania 2009 Melbourne. Please help and support as i am new here. Please feel free to leave any advice on wikimania on my meta page or wikipedia page. Pattav2 06:29, 10 October 2007 (UTC)
- Perhaps post this to to the Australian mailing list or Talk:Wikimania 2009? Cbrown1023 talk 20:20, 10 October 2007 (UTC)
Please, add to the top of the page the dates of the actual Wikimania event and a link to the call of presentations. This page is the first result when you search "Wikimania 2008". —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 07:13, 13 Feb 2008 (UTC)