Tell us about Javanese Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page belongs to the project Tell us about your Wikipedia.
Name of the Wikipedia
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interprete. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- Wikipedia statistics is useful. However, it is not always reveal the real picture. At Wiki jv for instance, the total user is more than 1000 but the steady contributor is just between 5 to 10. Pras 21:19, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- Yes. Pras 21:19, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- Mostly live in Indonesia, but some contributors do live elsewhere. Pras 21:19, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
- Once in a while, we have a wiki-meet to discuss issues such as spelling and other technical questions. Pras 21:19, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Do you have special contacts with another Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
- Yes, especially the Indonesian language Wikipedia. But also Sundanese and Banyumasan Javanese editions. Meursault2004 23:16, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
- Yes, English and Indonesian. Also some Dutch. Meursault2004 22:30, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
Organization and support
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
- The process of finding Indonesian Wikipedia Chapter is still on going, and Wiki jv community is being part of it. Pras 21:19, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic community
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them?
- There is a Javanese language Academy. However we haven't had any contact yet. Meursault2004 23:03, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Who (else) supports you?
- Universities. Meursault2004 23:03, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- How looks your public outreach for your edition? Do you have flyers, give lectures, trainings etc.?
- Yes we give lectures and trainings. Meursault2004 23:03, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Do you get feedback from readers?
- On Wikipedia itself mostly. Meursault2004 23:03, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language?
- Currently there's no modern encyclopaedia. However there are several traditional and classical ones. Meursault2004 23:03, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Does your edition concentrates on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity?
- Yes. Meursault2004 22:17, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias?
- We try to. Meursault2004 22:17, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)?
- Yes. On Javanese Wikipedia we follow the spelling of the Javanese language Academy set for dictionaries and by extensions thus also encyclopaedias. This is somewhat different than the spelling on magazines, novels etc. The only difference is that Wikipedia differentiates between e which is reserved for the schwa and é or è. Meursault2004 22:29, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)?
- We allow them, although we try to strive for uniformity and emphasize that the standard language be used. Meursault2004 22:29, 28 August 2008 (UTC)