Grant request details
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- Wikimedia España
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- Official project name
- Server for Wikimedia España
- Project start date
- This is the date you begin work on your project. Please include a month, day, and year. You must include a project start date.
- November 2014
- Project completion date
- This is the date you finish work on your project. Please include a month, day, and year. You must include a project completion date.
- November 2015
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
- Wikimedia España has been considering for a long time the option of contracting a server to host our own websites, mailing lists and provide further tools for the Wikimedia projects and other free knowledge-related entitites. We know that this may fit better in an APG in the future, but we are not planning to apply for an APG until next year and we need a server right now.
Every content placed in our server will be under a free license. We are also experiencing a huge amount of emails regarding press and Wikipedia-related stuff, so we need to create an OTRS system for us.
Please request your grant in your local currency. WMF is able to grant funds in many currencies.
- Amount and currency requested
- 681 EUR
- Please provide an equivalent amount in US dollars using the exchange rate provided by Oanda on the date you open this request
For organizations only
This section only needs to be completed by organizations requesting grants. Individuals and groups that are not incorporated do not need to complete this section.
- Are you an incorporated organization able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country? For-profit organizations are not eligible to receive grants through the PEG program.
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ or engage any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors? If yes, please tell us how many staff or contractors you employ or engage, along with their functions or a link to your staff page. For example, "2 full time program managers and 1 part-time contractor accountant at 50% FTE each."
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- We have been hosting our tools and websites in hostings which where provided by members since our foundation. Now the chapter has grown and needs a better service to host our services and we have a team of technical-interested members who want to improve our website and host new tools for the chapter and Wikimedia projects too.
- One of our main goals with this server would be the creation of a dump and a backup of the several local wikis existing in Spain about towns or cities (i. e. Madripedia, Wikisalamanca, etc.).
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- We will have our own server. We need to end the current situation and we will have better service.
- Creation of dumps and backups of the Spanish Localpedias.
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Registration||hetzner.de - EX 40||1||49||49||EUR||Registration in the hosting service.|
|2||Amount per month||12||49||588||EUR||€49/month x 12 months|
|3||Thawte SSL 123 Certificate 256 Bit - domain validated||1||44||44||EUR|
- Total cost of project
- 681 EUR
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 681 EUR
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
FALTA ESTA PURRELA
Resources and Risks
This section is used to highlight your potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames): Abián, -jem-, Mangelrp, El Pantera, Pmachon, Platonides
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Wikimedia España has several high-skilled members in technical stuff who are really in touch with free software entities. We are now working in a new Wordpress website and blog for the chapter and these members have shown their total disposal to manage the new server.
This section is used to identify key risks or threats that would prevent you from achieving your project goals and how you would mitigate those risks and threats.
- Posibilidad de que, con la necesaria ausencia de alguno de los socios, queden desatendidas las tareas de mantenimiento de las que este se ocupaba.
- We are choosing auxiliary server admins who can assume certain tasks in case of emergency.
Elección de administradores auxiliares en quienes pueden delegarse determinadas tareas en cualquier momento, y que pueden ayudar en cualquier ámbito en caso de emergencia.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- We really need the new server to further develop the activities that Wikimedia España is leading with a precarious technical infrastructure. I. e:
- Wiki Loves Monuments in Spain: we are hosting wikilm.es in a server that sometimes collapses due to high traffic.
- Massive free content liberation: the server will host the tools to manage the free content liberation tasks.
- Creation of a new website with a redefined blog: we will host our website in our own server and it will run Wordpress, leaving Blogger. That will make easy to promote our activities and create contents about the chapter in several languages.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- We are planning to host the dumps and backups of the Spanish localpedias, so it will be a great benefit for those communities and sometimes orphan contents.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- It would fit in organizational development.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- These could be a great experience about cooperation between a chapter and other free-content creating communities which don't have a strong Foundation supporting them.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- We will share the tools in our server with every single individual or organization in our movement (of course!).