In Taipei, Wikimania 2007. Credit: Joi
- Name: Samuel Klein
- Age: 31
- Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Languages: English, some German, Spanish, French
- Editorial :
||Wikimedia should be a model for open, scalable organizations.
As a Board member, I would be a strong community voice, communicating regularly about the Board's work, holding open meetings and soliciting public input. I support developing expertise within the community.
I would also
- fight for better support for translation and multilingual communication across Wikimedia, particularly for planning discussions
- represent the technical and practical needs of smaller projects
- encourage careful use of funds and goodwill, planning for long-term availability of the projects (with an endowment and core services)
- encourage delegating outreach & community development to chapters
About me: I am an editor, translator, steward, and public advocate for Wikipedia. I started the Meta translators network and the Wikimedia Quarto newsletter (in 5 languages) in 2004, and was secretary of the Special Projects Committee. I founded the Boston meetup group and helped run the first two Wikimanias, hosting Wikimania2006 in Boston.
Outside Wikimedia, for 3 years I have been director of content at One Laptop per Child, working on local partnerships for free content and offline distribution.