The Wiki Indaba Steering Committee is responsible for supporting the organization of future Indaba(s), providing a unified voice for all organisations and will provide non-financial resources to all who associate with Wiki Indaba.
- The 6th instalment of WikiIndaba conference is expected to take place in Agadir, Morocco between 3-5 November 2023
- And the 7th instalment of WikiIndaba conference is expected to take place in Johannesburg, South Africa between 2-4 November 2024
The Wiki Indaba Steering Committee (colloquially known as WISCom) was created in 2018.
The Wiki Indaba Steering Committee is responsible for supporting the organisation of Wiki-Indaba Conferences, providing a unified voice for all organisations and providing non-financial resources to all who associate with Wiki-Indaba. The committee is made up of a representative of all past organizers of Wiki-Indaba, a representative from the current LOC, 3 volunteer slots opened to all members from the continent and 2 WMF liaison roles.
The committee was formed as a result of constant burnout from previous organizers of the conference. A process was announced at the 2018 Wiki Indaba to initiate a steering committee to support future organizers.
List of Wiki-Indaba Conferences
|WikiIndaba 2014||June 20–22||Johannesburg, South Africa |
|WikiIndaba 2017||January 20–22||Accra, Ghana|
|WikiIndaba 2018||March 16–18||Tunis, Tunisia|
|WikiIndaba 2019||November 8–10||Abuja, Nigeria|
|WikiIndaba 2021||November 5–7||Kampala, Uganda|
|WikiIndaba 2022||November 4-6||Kigali, Rwanda|
|WikiIndaba 2023||November 3-5||Agadir, Morocco|
- Current committee
|Bobby Shabangu (WMZA)||ss, en-4||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Raphael Berchie (WUG-OFWA)||en-N, tiw-N||Ghana, Accra|
|Youssef Ben Haj Yahia (WUG-TUN)||fr-3, en-3, it-1||Tunisia, Tunis|
|Isaac Olatunde (WUG-NGA)||Nigeria, Lagos|
|Geoffrey Kateregga (WUG-UGA)||Uganda, Kampala|
|Derrick Ndahiro(WUG-RWA)||fr, en-2||Rwanda, Kigali|
Current Local Organising Committee (LOC) Leads
- WMF staff liaison
- Veronica Thamaini, Senior Program Officer, WMF (Jan 2022 - )
- Dumisani Ndubane, Evaluation Strategist, WMF (Jan 2018 - )
- WISCom Timeline
Current voting members marked in green; former in light green:
Current non-voting advisers marked in gold (yellow-orange); former non-voting advisers in light orange (peach):
Current Wikimedia Foundation staff liaisons marked in Red; former liaisons in (lighter) Red:
Current non-voting observer members in gray:
- The best way to contact the Committee is to write an e-mail to Wiscomlists.wikimedia.org; please note that the Committee might be sometimes slow in responding to e-mails, so if you don't receive a reply to your message in a reasonable time, just send us a reminder.
- You can follow or tweet the Committee on
- You can follow or write to the Committee on
- You can also contact the members of the Committee individually by clicking on their usernames in the timeline above; feel free to use our talk pages and e-mails for any questions related to Wiki Indaba.
- You may also arrange a phone call (via Skype or Google Hangout) with members of the Committee.
- June, Charlie Fripp on 24th (2014-06-24). "What does Wikipedia need to do in Africa?". htxt.africa. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Wiki Indaba Kickstarts in Accra, Ghana - The African Dream". www.theafricandream.net. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "WikiIndaba conference 2018". Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "WikiIndaba conference 2019". Retrieved 2019-08-25.