Wiki Indaba Steering Committee
The Wiki Indaba Steering Committee is responsible for supporting the organization of future Indaba(s), providing a unified voice for all organisations and will provide non-financial resources to all who associate with Wiki Indaba.
- The 5th instalment of WikiIndaba conference is expected to take place in Kigali, Rwanda between 4-6 November 2022
- Calls for African Wikimedians to fill WISCom's volunteer positions underway!
The Wiki Indaba Steering Committee (colloquially known as WISCom) was created in 2018.
The Wiki Indaba Steering Committee is responsible for supporting the organisation of Wiki-Indaba Conferences, providing a unified voice for all organisations and providing non-financial resources to all who associate with Wiki-Indaba. The committee is made up of a representative of all past organizers of Wiki-Indaba, a representative from the current LOC, 3 volunteer slots opened to all members from the continent and 2 WMF liaison roles.
The committee was formed as a result of constant burnout from previous organizers of the conference. A process was announced at the 2018 Wiki Indaba to initiate a steering committee to support future organizers.
List of Wiki-Indaba Conferences
|WikiIndaba 2014||June 20–22||Johannesburg, South Africa |
|WikiIndaba 2017||January 20–22||Accra, Ghana|
|WikiIndaba 2018||March 16–18||Tunis, Tunisia|
|WikiIndaba 2019||November 8–10||Abuja, Nigeria|
|WikiIndaba 2021||November 5–7||Kampala, Uganda|
- Current committee
|Bobby Shabangu (WMZA)||ss, en-4||South Africa, Johannesburg|
|Raphael Berchie (WUG-OFWA)||en-N, tiw-N||Ghana, Accra|
|Sami Mlouhi (WUG-TUN)||ar-N, fr-3, en-3, it-1||Tunisia, Tunis|
|Isaac Olatunde (WUG-NGA)||Nigeria, Lagos|
|Geoffrey Kateregga (WUG-UGA)||Uganda, Kampala|
|Georges Fodouop||fr, en-2||Cameroon, Douala|
Current Local Organising Committee (LOC) Lead
- Derrick Ndahiro, Rwanda LOC Lead
- WMF staff liaison
- Veronica Thamaini, Senior Program Officer, WMF (Jan 2022 - )
- Dumisani Ndubane, Evaluation Strategist, WMF (Jan 2018 - )
- WISCom Timeline
Current voting members marked in green; former in light green:
Current non-voting advisers marked in gold (yellow-orange); former non-voting advisers in light orange (peach):
Current Wikimedia Foundation staff liaisons marked in Red; former liaisons in (lighter) Red:
Current non-voting observer members in gray:
- The best way to contact the Committee is to write an e-mail to Wiscomlists.wikimedia.org; please note that the Committee might be sometimes slow in responding to e-mails, so if you don't receive a reply to your message in a reasonable time, just send us a reminder.
- You can follow or tweet the Committee on
- You can follow or write to the Committee on
- You can also contact the members of the Committee individually by clicking on their usernames in the timeline above; feel free to use our talk pages and e-mails for any questions related to Wiki Indaba.
- You may also arrange a phone call (via Skype or Google Hangout) with members of the Committee.
|Applications for volunteer positions are now open|
- June, Charlie Fripp on 24th (2014-06-24). "What does Wikipedia need to do in Africa?". htxt.africa. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Wiki Indaba Kickstarts in Accra, Ghana - The African Dream". www.theafricandream.net. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "WikiIndaba conference 2018". Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "WikiIndaba conference 2019". Retrieved 2019-08-25.