WMSE-WMF joint initiative concerning GLAM communities of practice/Research
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page shows the research that informs and inspires the WMSE-WMF joint initiative concerning GLAM communities of practice.
2019-20: Stakeholder consultations
2019-20: Research on current GLAM-Wiki activities
- International GLAM Indicators Research
- Regional Deep Dives
2019-20: Research on past GLAM-Wiki activities and technology
Dataset of past GLAM-Wiki collaborations
- November 2019 till March 2020
- Contact: Satdeep Gill
- In this research project, we create a structured dataset of past documented GLAM-Wiki collaborations in the Wikimedia movement. This data will help to understand the diversity as well as the needs of GLAM-Wiki collaborations. This data is currently spread across various sources such as the GLAM Newsletter, Grant reports, Affiliate reports, Meta-Wiki etc.
Mapping existing tools and functionalities used in GLAM-Wiki work
- September-October 2019
- Contact: André Costa, Sandra Fauconnier
- A spreadsheet of the current volunteer-built tools that support content partnerships in some way, in order to help with decisionmaking around technical development in this area.
Relevant earlier research
- (2019) Wikidata Use in Cultural Institutions, qualitative research at Wikimedia Deutschland. To learn from institutions and be able to direct other people to information about their work, WMDE did qualitative research on how and why cultural institutions use Wikidata. 16 people who use Wikidata in their work in cultural institutions told about their motivations, activities and problems and explained how they work.
- (2019) Wikimedia Commons Data Roundtripping
- (2018) Technical needs of external re-users of Commons media
- (2018) Curation workflows on Wikimedia Commons. In preparation for Structured Data on Commons, this research project sought to understand the workflows of Commons contributors who curate media (categorize it, delete it, link to it from other projects, etc.)
- (2017) Supporting Commons contribution by GLAM institutions. This project focused on understanding the needs of a particular set of Wikimedia Commons power users (institutional contributors related to GLAMs), in order to inform the design of new structured data-backed functionality for Commons. The research found that a lack of consistent structures for capturing the metadata associated with media files on Wikimedia Commons impedes key workflows for these users, particularly uploading, search, curation, re-use, and tracking.
- (2013) Report on requirements for usage and reuse statistics for GLAM content. Research as part of the GLAMWiki Toolset Project. The research shows that there is a need for a GLAM analytics system as an open dashboard that shows all contributing institutions with monthly overviews of contributed objects, their plays and their usage in Wikimedia projects.