WikiCite 2016/Proposals/Reference Recommendation Platform for Wikipedia Editors
Add here some context on the problem that your proposal is trying to solve.
- In September, the Wikipedia Library approached WikiProject X, requesting the creation of a tool to provide recommendations for sources for Wikipedia editors. Such a tool would be based on the most popular references to appear on Wikipedia articles in the scope of a given WikiProject.
- This task highlighted the need for a central database of source metadata, resulting in the creation of Librarybase. Librarybase is a wiki, running on Wikibase, that serves as a demonstration project for making source metadata available through a queryable service. There is also a project on Wikidata to do the same; see d:Wikidata:WikiProject Source MetaData. Crucial to Librarybase's data model is the correlation between a given source and on which wiki page it is cited.
- Aaron Halfaker created a utility to harvest digital object identifiers (DOIs) from Wikipedia article citations. This could be a potential seed for Librarybase or Wikidata. Thomas Arrow has also been importing data into Librarybase from a European database.
Add here your objective. Focus on goals that will be achievable within the scope of the event. If you think a proposal has several dependencies, please create them as distinct proposals. The more granular proposals are, the better.
The goal of this session (workshop? track?) is to have a first draft of a product roadmap for a tool for recommending sources for Wikipedia editors. Relevant questions:
- How is this data stored and retrieved? Will it be based on Librarybase, or on Wikidata, or with a mixture of both?
- How can we systematically gather the data that is needed to make such a service useful?
- What features will we want on initial release? What features will we want later?
- Where could we find funding for this?
- We are looking for people who are familiar with techniques for harvesting data from MediaWiki, with Wikibase, and with storage/retrieval of structured data (including source metadata).
- Anyone who can help design an interface for this tool would also be appreciated.
- any additional link