WikiGap/How to organize WikiGap
The campaign's intention is to, primarily, reduce the gendergap at Wikipedia and hopefully make more women interested in editing encyclopedic articles. By highlighting prominent women in Wikipedia, the possibilities for an increased gender aware society in general are also improved.
Structure and division of labour
The purpose of the campaign has been fulfilled when dedicated persons have participated in events where you edit biographies about women at Wikipedia in as many language versions as possible. Since the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs is one of the initiators of WikiGap, there were prerequisites for engaging Swedish embassies throughout the world in the campaign. This has been an important precondition for the campaign being so successful.
The Swedish embassies, together with local actors (e.g institutions in the educational system, museums, libraries or social organizations) and volunteers connected to local Wikimedia organizations will jointly organize events/edit-a-thons with the aim of editing, translating or writing new biographies about women at Wikipedia.
Wikimedia Sverige manages the dialogue with international Wikimedia organizations. The Ministry for Foreign Affairs handles the dialogue with embassies and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Wikimedia Sverige have a dialogue so that as many events as possible can be arranged as smoothly as possible. Often Wikimedia Sverige and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs communicate around questions that involves them both. Swedish embassies and the local organizers on site engages local actors and markets and manages the dialogue against those who show interest in the event.
The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has developed a material that contains both instructions for how to prepare an edit-a-thon and marketing material. This toolkit provide organizers ( embassies, local actors and organizers from the Wikimedia-movement) with instructions how to best organize a Wikigap event. However, they do not have to follow the recommendations but they are intended to reduce the time needed to prepare for an event and avoid some common mistakes.
Wikimedia Sverige has provided the organizers with two campaign on the dashboard, the WikiGap 2018 and WikiGap 2019 campaigns, to follow up the statistics from each event. Wikimedia Sverige has also produced a lot of written information about WikiGap on Meta and directly supported the organizers from the Wikimedia movement with introductions to the campaign and how to be a part of it.
Wikimedia Sverige has created a participant list of the people from the Wikimedia movement who organized WikiGap 2018 and 2019.
The Swedish Ministry for Foreign affairs, Wikimedia Sverige, local actors (e.g institutions within the educational system, museums, libraries or social organizations) and volunteers/organizers from the Wikimedia movement in each country.
Main tasks for the responsible organizations
Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- Update the material from the previous year and campaign.
- Provide information and marketing material about WikiGap to the Swedish embassies around the world and through their own communication channels.
- Ongoingly provide support to the Swedish embassies in different countries and engage in a dialogue with them through the campaign.
- Work with Wikimedia Sverige and other local actors about what to do to succeed in reaching as many people as possible during the campaign.
- Create connections, with some help from Wikimedia Sverige, between people that ought to work with each other during the campaign.
- Create or refresh the pages on Meta about WikiGap. This includes moving last year's pages to subpages and to create updated texts for the year for all pages.
- Inform volunteers and organizers from the Wikimedia movement about WikiGap and what the campaign is all about.
- Create a campaign on the Programs and Events dashboard. The Dashboard can be used to measure the outcome of the campaign.
- Ongoingly give support to, and engage in a dialogue, with volunteers and organizers from the Wikimedia movement all through the campaign.
- Work with Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and other local actors about what to do to succeed in reaching as many people as possible during the campaign.
- Make connections, with some help from the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, between people who would benefit from working together during the campaign.
- Examine the interest and opportunities for conducting an event.
- Identify and make an outreach to local non-Wikimedia partners to take part in an event.
- Host an event together with the local partner and volunteers/organizers from the Wikimedia movement and create the right conditions for a successful event. Assist with things such as premises, digital connection, refreshments, lecturers and equipment.
- Promote the event/edit-a-thon in different social media channels and invite to participation.
- Summarize the results from the event and market it in their social media channels.
- Support the embassy with things that could be a challenge before and during the event. Such as invitations to the event within their network. It might also be convenient to share the responsibilities for refreshment or equipment with the embassy.
- Promote the event/edit-a-thon in different social media channels and encourage participation.
- Spread and highlight the result from the event in different social media channels.
Organizers from the Wikimedia movement
- Create a program and register it on the Program and Event Dashboard as soon as the date for the event is finalized.
- Are responsible for ensuring that the purpose of the event is to be achieved as far as possible. It is of great importance that the organizers have prepared instructions, have made suggestions for appropriate reference literature and have proposals of convenient articles to edit.
- Will engage volunteers that can answer questions that may appear during the edit-a-thon. It is very important that there are enough volunteers that know how to edit on-site in order to have a good and creative atmosphere.
- Must have a dialogue with the embassy and the local actor around the event.
- Are to collect numbers and statistics over the work that has been done during the edit-a-thon and then communicate it.