Welcome to the WikiGap Pakistan writing challenge to improve the coverage of Pakistani women on Wikipedia (English and Urdu)!
This is a public writing competition to create and improve articles that will strengthen Wikipedia's coverage of Pakistani and Pakistan-origin women. The winners will receive great prizes. The Challenge is organized as part of the global WikiGap campaign by the Embassy of Sweden in Pakistan. Due to the prevailing global COVID-19 pandemic, we will be hosting two online trainings via Zoom (Webinar) on Wikipedia for anyone interested in learning more about editing on it. These training sessions will be followed by the online contest.
The online training sessions (Webinar) will take place on 5 and 6 November 2020 between 2:30pm and 4:00pm. You can sign up (sorry all seats have been filled).
You can see the webinars here: 5 November 2020 (1:55:25) and 6 November 2020 (1:47:29)
The writing challenge will run from 00:01 on 7 November 2020 (GMT +05:00) until 23:59 on 7 December 2020 (GMT +05:00).
The contest is simple in structure, based on a KISS point system: You get points while creating and improving articles, with the goal for each participant being to gain as many points as possible.
This Challenge is open to editors from all over the world, irrespective of their age, sex, gender, orientation, religion, race or ethnicity. Any Wikipedian with a named account (on any wiki, including the incubator) can participate. All participating editors, irrespective of their language of contribution, must however, register their username on the Challenge page and Dashboard.
This contest is conceived by the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs (ref) and the Pakistan version is organized by The Embassy of Sweden in Pakistan with the support of its partners; Digital Rights Foundation, Media Matters for Democracy, UN Women and Wikimedia Sweden. It is implemented by a team of volunteers: Khilari&historian and JogiAsad
How do I participate?
- Visit WikiGap Pakistan Online Challenge to learn more about the Challenge.
- Add yourself to the list of participants on this page and this one.
- If you need help editing, see the webinars here: 5 November 2020 (1:55:25) and 6 November 2020 (1:47:29)
- Between 7 November and 7 December 2020, pick an article to edit and work on it. Do you need inspiration? Have a look at the suggestions for improvement and creation as well as some sources to use.
- Add the article under your username on this page.
- Count your points and add them together besides its article under your username on this page.
Congratulations! You have just contributed to closing the gender gap on Wikipedia and helped readers all around the world learn more about Pakistani women's achievements.