Join fixing things. You can add a task or grab one. If you would like to propose and discuss a task before adding it to this page, you can leave a note on the talk page.
Explore inventories and elements
See pages for heritage elements on the UNESCO Lists and registers of Intangible Cultural Heritage, the locally maintained inventories as well as country pages that feature all of these plus elements that have been nominated by the editors. Add missing information and fix errors.
- View heritage elements from UNESCO Lists and Registers of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- The national inventories and other locally maintained directories are published on this page when the data is added to Wikidata.
- The countries page group the elements by country: Elements on UNESCO Lists and Registers, in locally maintained inventories as well as elements that anyone has included in the Wiki Loves Living Heritage projects. Check out below at Is your favorite heritage element missing from Wiki Loves Living Heritage pages? to see how to add your favourite heritage element to the pages.
Is your favorite heritage element missing from Wiki Loves Living Heritage pages?
You can add a heritage element, even if it is not listed by an inventory.
- Search Wikidata to find the living heritage element. You can use Wikidata search, Google or the Wikidata query builder.
- When you have found the existing element, navigate to it and add the following statement:
maintained by WikiProject (P6104): WikiProject Intangible Cultural Heritage (Q112898263)
- Make sure a country has been added in either country (P17) or country of origin (P495). Remember that you will need to base your claim on a source.
- Once the Wikidata item is updated, navigate to the page Wiki Loves Living Heritage/Intangible Cultural Heritage of your country name here.
- Update the the list by clicking on the link "Manually update list" to see the updated list.
Organize data on Wikimedia projects
There are lots of broken links to UNESCO pages all over Wikimedia projects.
Use the scheme: https://ich.unesco.org/[language]/[list]/[number]
For example: https://ich.unesco.org/es/USL/00863
Languages are: English (en), French (fr) and Spanish (es).
- RL for Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity (Q110319947)
- USL for List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding (Q17323370)
- BSP for Register of Good Safeguarding Practices (Q17325849)
Create Wikimedia Commons categories for heritage elements
If there is no Wikimedia Commons category for a heritage element Wikidata, you can create it. It helps to automatically categorize images of that topic to this category.
Help to add your inventory
- Navigate to Inventories to see if there is an inventory from your country in Wikidata already.
- The Contacts page lists Wikimedia affiliates and focal points who can manage the activities together. If there is no affiliate in your country, look for ones in the neighboring countries or internationally operating ones.
- Together with the focal point in the country, discuss open sharing. You can use the articles Benefits of opening content on Wikimedia projects and the FAQ for safeguarding organizations.
- If the partner organization has not contributed to Wikimedia projects before, the article Contributing to Wikimedia as a cultural heritage organization gives useful advise.
- The article How to import an inventory is a step-by-step guide about importing an inventory. You can ask for help from the people who are listed below or join yourseld.
Wikimedia projects support team
- Organizes the knowledge about heritage element across the Wikimedia projects The data of the UNESCO lists and registers is imported to Wikidata and the work with importing elements from the individual national inventories is starting. It requires both practical actions as well as ethical considerations. The category structures on Wikipedias and Wikimedia Commons need some care and it would be best to do it in a coordinated manner.
- Supports the Wikimedia community in finding best practices Some Wikipedias make great templates and elements that could be adopted by other Wikipedias. This can be a place to share them. This group can also further ethical sharing practices on Wikimedia projects.
- Supports newcomer participants in contributing to Wikimedia projects The group can advise project partners on issues relating to copyright on Wikimedia projects.
Add interests: Wikidata imports, rights advocacy, ethical sharing practices, contests, Wikipedia writing events, cross-project practices (templates, categories etc.), newcomer onboarding or some other interest that you have.
|Username / signature||Country||Languages||Special interest|
|Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) 🦜||Finland||Finnish, English, Swedish, French||Ethical sharing parctices, cross-project practices, Wikidata imports|
|YusufuAM||Nigeria||Hausa, English||Wikisource campaigns, Wikidata imports, Media Upload|
|Ismael Olea (Olea)||Spain||Spanish, English||Content labeling, media upload, Wikidata imports|
|Bodhisattwa||India||Bengali, English||Wikisource campaigns, Wikidata imports, Media Upload|
|Kambai Akau||Nigeria||Tyap, English||Wikidata imports, cross-project practices, Wikipedia writing events|
|Isaacayodele32||Nigeria||English, Yoruba||Content labeling, media upload, Wikipedia writing events|
|María Sacristán (María Sacristán)||Spain||Spanish, English||Content labeling, media upload, Wikipedia writing events|
|Mashan Genesis(Genesis shan)||Nigeria||Tyap, English||Content labeling, media upload, Wikipedia writing events|
|Bembety (Bembety)||Nigeria||Hausa, English,Fulfude, Yoruba||wikisource campaigns,Wikidata import, media upload, Wikipedia writing events|
|Alhassan Mohammed Awal||Ghana||English, Dagbani||Content labeling, media upload, Wikipedia writing events, cross-project practices|