Wikidata/Berlin summit 2012/repo editing demo
No slides, but live presentation.
- demo of editing in frontend
- English data view for one item (Berlin) in the wikibase repo extension
- label, description, aliases (alternative labels) can be edited
- old site links replaced by list of pages linked to this item (demo of how to add sth.)
demo of RTL language
- solution needed of the following bug: in the list of pages linked to this item in RTL languages the brackets for non-RTL languages are displayed in a wrong way: (Cesky (cs
- note: Siebrand use DIR="auto"
- creating an item
- one item can only be linked to one (existing!) article
- Q: Relationship between lables and links? How to create a link to a non-existing article?
- Q: Suggestions for labels?
- A: no Suggestions
- Q: How represent the URL an item?g
- A. There are several ways, we are still discussing.
- comment: where to put editing possibility?
- Q: Can you use red links? (in wikidata - no there are no red links in WD)
- A. Problem: This could lead to several identical red links, but missing disambiguation.
Links to non-existing article (where? in WD or WP?) should be supported.
- Q: how you identify "Q2" describtion in an certain language?
- A: language is shown in the tooltip
- Q: where to display the language?
- A: comment: specify the language when you create an item
- Q: change in the language without settings/control ? How do you handle multi-language users?
- A: choose of range of language will be set in the languages
- without reloading the page
- fallback languages to choose
- would be nice to be able to enter a text in some other language without switching the UI to that language.
- Idea: I create an item (a city) and want to enter the name also in the local language. How to show the exact city pin it
- comment: "Perspective from linking" vs "discovery mechanism" - use label information
- A: the data can be entered in any language
Idea: WP page non-existent, WD entry in this language with same ID (?) -> could be displayed in WP page.
comment: in case of multiple labels in Wikidata: redirection AND disambiguation will be needed
Idea summary (Dario, Gerard, Gregor, Daniel, Daniel):
- when visiting a non-existing page on a wikipedia...
- ...look up all items with the page's title as their label/alias in wikidata (in the given language. with fallback?)
- ...present automatic disambiguation (list of labels and descriptions) and maybe item details for each item with that label/alias.
- if an item also has a wiki-link for that language, link the disambiguation entry
- in case there's only one, automatically redirect?