Wikimania 2016 bids/St. Louis
- 1 Bid overview
- 2 Our vision
- 3 Location
- 4 Historical significance
- 5 Expansive parks
- 6 Sports
- 7 Civic-minded city
- 8 Accommodations
- 9 Free accommodation
- 10 Transportation
- 11 Currency
- 12 Suggested Itinerary
- 13 Budget and Financing
- 14 Visa requirements
- 15 Publicity and online broadcasting
- 16 About Wikimedia
- 17 Media relations
- 18 Distances Gallery
- 19 Supporters
- 20 Self-evaluation
- 21 Team meetings:
- 22 Notes
July? Washington University in St. Louis. At least five days of conference. Do we want to bookend the conference with "unconference" events?
Overall to-do list
For more details on what still needs to be done, see Wikimania 2016 bids/St. Louis to-do list.
Reasons to meet in St. Louis
- English. I'm told that Missourians speak particularly clear, unaccented English. Should be a plus!
Wealth of knowledge and center for progress
The area has established itself as a world-leading center for biotechnology research with agricultural giant Monsanto and the internationally influential Missouri Botanical Garden located here. It's startup scene is just beginning to flourish. The prestigious Washington University itself is ranked among the top 30 universities globally.
Once one of the largest cities in the United States.
St. Louis Cardinals, Blues, Rams, etc.
Resourceful business tourism infrastructure
I have a list of organizations that can help...
- The airport is situated 45 minutes from the city centre.
- Locally the transportation of choice is the MetroBus though travelers may find east-to-west/west-to-east travel easier via MetroLink light rail. MetroLink is the best way to travel to and from the main airport that is west of the city.
- Summers are generally hot and humid.
- Lambert International Airport
- MetroBus, MetroLink etc.
Stuff to do
- Mountain biking
Hotels and Hostels
Below is a list of hostel and hotels in the Greater St. Louis area, relatively close distance of all potential conference venues.
Three and Four Star Hotels
Getting to St. Louis
St. Louis is serviced mainly by Lambert–St. Louis International Airport and St. Louis Downtown Airport in Illinois. Lambert is closest to the venue and serves the most traffic.
From Evansville/Louisville/Lexington: Simply follow I-64 W until you get to the Arch.
Cost of living
Budget and Financing
Publicity and online broadcasting
Distance: Gallery of photos with approximate distance from the conference venue. The distance is measured according to google maps.
- I am currently the lead coordinator for this proposed bid but feel free to take the initiative on this one. Currently living two hours away in mid-Missouri for school but am in St. Louis over breaks. Marcus Qwertyus (talk) 09:45, 26 November 2013 (UTC)
- A dedicated coordinator (that's me!): What do you need to make your stay enjoyable and productive? I've lived in St. Louis all my life. I'm here to help!
- Venue: The WUSTL campus features a exemplary Collegiate Gothic architecture.
- Convenient location*: St. Louis's central location in the United States can be both a blessing and a curse. Near the mean center of population in the U.S., it should be expected to draw in a large American audience.
- Lack of living accommodations: St. Louis has little in the way of inexpensive lodging – only one hostel is in the vicinity of St. Louis.
- Crime: St. Louis has been ranked among the top five most dangerous cities in the U.S. since 1998. Most of the crime occurs in the north side of the city, although certain neighborhoods here are considered safe. Likewise, on the Illinois side of the river is the city of East St. Louis which should be avoided entirely. The venue we hope to use is located in a well-policed part of the city.
- Decline and decay: Once among the largest cities in the U.S., the St. Louis area has declined significantly in population, a precipitous trend that continues to this day. Much of the city's north side has degraded beyond recognition, although plans are underway to redevelop the area.
This may be discussed at several upcoming St. Louis-area Meetups.