Jump to navigation Jump to search
Please find the fourth edition of the Wikimedia newsletter 2015.
Please find the fourth edition of the Wikimedia newsletter 2015.
If you wish to communicate your event or activity through this newsletter, please feel free to send us a message to email@example.com. Happy reading.
- Wikimedia CH Board Meeting on June 1
- The next board meeting will take place on June 1st in Bern. In case you have any resolutions or topics you would like our board to discuss, please let us know.
- Wikipedia Workshop at the University library in Basel
- On May 12th, Micha Rieser will be giving an introduction workshop about Wikipedia at the University Library in Basel. More information is available here if you wish to attend the session: http://www.ub.unibas.ch/ub-hauptbibliothek/dienstleistungen/schulungen-fuehrungen/weitere-angebote/
- Conference and Edit-a-thon on " Building Peace" at Geneva University
- On May 14th, Wikimedia CH Board member Stephane Coillet-Matillon will give a conference on "Making peace on Wikipedia" as part of the Histoire et Cité festival that runs from 13 to 16 May. The event will take place at Uni Dufour, Room D300, at 11am: more on the conference's website
- On May 15th, the Geneva Library, the Arts Faculty of the Geneva University, Infoclio.ch as well as WMCH are partnering to organise an edit-a-thon on the theme of "Building Peace" within the festival "Histoire & Cité". The focus of this event is to contribute to a pre-determined list of articles, available here, and to improve them in order for them to meet the expectations of quality standards on Wikipedia. The workshop will take place from 10 am to 6 pm in the Bonivard room at the Geneva Library. The entrance is free, you need only to register before May 10th via the following link: https://www.unige.ch/outils/limesurveyfac/lettres/index.php/235916/lang-frhttp://%20
- More information is available on the festival's website: http://histoire-cite.ch/programme/atelier-de-redaction-sur-wikipedia-sur-inscription/
- Womenedit in Bern
- On April 25th, the associations FemWiss and Wikimedia CH hosted a Wikipedia Writing Atelier for Women in Bern. Throughout the day,7 women joined our gathering. The main topic of the day was "the history of women in academics in Switzerland". Weare looking forward to continue these Wikipedia atelier for women later this year.
- Opendata.ch/2015 Conference
- On Wednesday, July 1st 2015, the annual conference Opendata.ch/2015 will take place at the University of Bern. Top-class speakers, among others Rufus Pollock from Open Knowledge, as well as intense workshops and a multifaceted audience will be waiting for you.
- Members of Wikimedia CH have the chance to get a discount on the ticket prices. Indeed, you can purchase early-bird tickets until May 17 and profit of 45 CHF members-rebate. To get your earlybird-ticket at a reduced price, visit the Opendata.ch/2015 event-page on Eventbrite and enter the following promotion-code (Werbecode): WMCH1715.
- make.opendata.ch Research Hackdays
- On June 5-6, 2015, Opendata.ch invites all the passionate & innovative researchers and specialists, designers, programmers, journalists and other people embracing experimentation to participate in the make.opendata.ch Research Hackdays in Zurich and Lausanne. Open research data from diverse scientific domains will be the central point of this 2 day creative event, as well as the big question: how can we get the most out of the huge potential of Open Data in the field of research? You can get more information and register for the event on the Eventbrite page.
Wikimania Esino Lario 2016
- WMF visit to Esino Lario (Ilario)
Wikimedia CH Projects
- Italian GLAM Conference in Lugano
- Wikimedia CH and SUPSI (Laboratory of Visual Culture) organized a conference for all Swiss Italian GLAMs in Lugano the 5th May in order to explain them some case studies and the potential benefits that they can receive from Wikimedia projects. The conference received a huge adhesion of GLAMs with 35 attendees and a good impact with additional request of meetings. The same presentation of prof.Jason Grant of the University of Neuchatel about the herbarium and of Mr.Marc Majoleth of the Swiss Federal Archives have been appreciated by attendees. The guidelines and the results are available in [http:glam.wikimedia.ch GLAM website] only in Italian, the translation in other national languages will follow sooner.
- Conference Public Domain Tagung
- As we informed you in our previous Newsletter, the conference on "Public Domain" of the "Migros Kulturprozent" took place on April 20th in Basel. Throughout the event, Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia Projects and collaborations were at the core of this event. :We're especially happy about the fact that the Swiss National Library and the Central Library of Solothurn shared their experience with Wikimedia projects with the public. Information and podcasts online via http://www.digitalbrainstorming.ch/de/programm/public-domain
- Wiki Loves Earth 2015
- The photo contest "Wiki Loves Earth 2015" kicked off last Friday and we delighted to include Switzerland's beautiful nature in the contest. Take your camera and get out of the city to capture some pictures of the amazing landscapes and lakes in Switzerland. Or just upload the pictures you took last year on Wikimedia Commons. All the necessary information about the contest is available online: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Earth_2015_in_Switzerland
- WMCH is partnering with the University of Geneva to launch in Autumn 2015 a session of workshops entitled "Let's fill the gender gap". The idea behind those event is to empower women to become contributors on the Wikimedia projects. The focus will be on contributions related to articles about swiss women on Wikipedia which are currently not fully updated or created. At the end of the workshop participants will receive a certificate acknowledging their involvement from the office of equality of the University of Geneva. The great news is that this project was submitted to the Wikimedia Foundation's Inspire Campaign which granted us a financial support of 6000 CHF. We will of course inform you of the developments of this project during the next few months.
- Links available:
|06.05.2015, 12:15-13:45||Wikipermanence (bilingual)||City Library of Biel/Bienne|
|09.05.2015||Wikipedia Atelier||Swiss National Library|
|09.05.2015||Esino Lario Working group meets Wikimedia Foundation||Esino Lario (Italy)|
|10.05.2015||Esino Lario Working group meets Wikimedia Foundation||Esino Lario (Italy)|
|12.05.2015, 12:00-13:30||Wikipedia: Behind the scenes||University Library in Basel|
|12.05.2015, 12:00-14:00||Wikipermanence||Library of the Institute of Ethnology and the Museum of Ethnography in Neuchâtel|
|14.05.2015||WMCH talk on "How to make Peace on Wikipedia" during the Festival Histoire & Cité||Uni Dufour, Room U300 Geneva|
|15.05.2015, 10:00-18:00||Edit-a-thon "Construct Peace" Festival Histoire & Cité||Bonivard Room, City Library Geneva|
|19.05.2015, 09:99 - 17:45||Swiss Internet Governance Forum||Hotel Ador in Bern|
|27.05.2015, 16:30||Wikivillage prize ceremony||Aula Room, Cantonal and University Library of Lausanne|
|28.05.2015, 12:00-14:00||Wikipermanence||HEG library, Infothèque, Geneva|
|30.05.2015||Introducing Wikipedia at frauenaargau Tagung||Aarau|
|02.06.2015, 12:00-14:00||Wikipermanence||City Library La Chaux de Fonds|
|05.06.2015||Schreibwerkstatt in Basel||Basel University Library|
|06.06.2015||Wikipedia Zurich Stammtisch||Basel|
|20.06.2015||Wikipedia Atelier||Cantonal Library Thurgau, Frauenfeld|
|25.06.2015, 12:00-14:00||Wikipermanence||HEG library, Infothèque, Geneva|
|01.07.2015||Opendata.ch Conference||University of Bern|
|02.07.2015, 12:00-14:00||Wikipermanence||Library of the Institute of Ethnology and the Museum of Ethnography in Neuchâtel|
|04.07.2015||Wikipedia Atelier||Swiss National Library|
- Wikidata Visualization Challenge
- The close collaboration between Wikimedia CH and Opendata.ch is not only specific to Switzerland. Wikimedia Sweden launched - in collaboration with Open Knowledge Foundation Sweden and the Royal College of Science - the "Wikidata Visualization Challenge". To get ready, read the following information on the Wikimedia Sweden page: https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Öppna_data_2015/Visualisering/Tävling
- Newspaper article "Wikipedia's heroes in the background"
- If you want to know more about the work of the volunteers who support the Wikimedia projects, read the portrait of two Wikipedians from the german-speaking community in the Aargauer Zeitung: http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/leben/digital/wikipedias-heimliche-helden-im-hintergrund-129047912