Please find the sixth edition of the Wikimedia newsletter 2015.
If you wish to communicate your event or activity through this newsletter, please feel free to send us a message to email@example.com. Happy reading.
- Wikipedia Atelier in the Cantonal Library of Thurgau, Frauenfeld
- On June 20th, the Cantonal Library of Thurgau hosted their first (out of three) Wikipedia Atelier. After a one-hour introduction by user Lantus, the participants got to work and created and/or improved articles with regards to the "list of cultural properties in Frauenfeld":
Wikimania Mexico City 2015
Wikimania Esino Lario 2016
During the month of June, Wikimania Esino Lario received the final confirmation from the Wikimedia Foundation as well as the funds for the organization of the event. Furthermore, the first big sponsor (NGI) formally confirmed his participation by supplying the internet connection through a revolutionary satellite method which can match the difficult position of the alpine villages, instead of the traditional wiring system which would have been extremely cost intensive.
Also, a Barcamp was organised in Montecitorio, the seat of the Italian Parliament, in order to explain the legal problems observed in Italy when it comes to taking photos. The barcamp was successful and the Italian government is ready to look into this legal issues to facilitate the freedom of panorama and the open content.
The time has now come to build a group of volunteers. If you speak languages and if you like Wikipedia, why don't you become a volunteer during the month of June 2016 at Wikimania in Esino Lario? If you are interested and have questions, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wikimedia CH Projects
- Following the Italian GLAM meeting held during the month of May, Wikimedia CH started to met several GLAM partners such as Fonoteca of Lugano, Monte Verità of Ascona and the Museum of the Radio of Monte Ceneri. They were very productive meetings and they have created additional visions and suggestions on how to approach those collaborations.
- We will keep you informed of those developments in the coming months.
- Wikimedia CH in partnership with the department of Equality of the University of Geneva and with the Emilie Gourd Foundation have decided to launch a series of workshop focusing on empowering women to contribute on Wikipedia next Autumn. The project is coming into shape and we will be communicating about it in detail at the end of the summer. You may access some information via the grant application to the Wikimedia Foundation here in the meantime.
- Wikipedia offline:Google Serve
- Every year in June, Google employees in the Zurich Office participate in volunteer opportunities as part of their annual "Google Serve“ - a chance for Googlers to give back to their local communities through service projects.
- For the second time, Wikimedia CH is part of this opportunity and a couple of Googlers in the Zurich HQ teamed up and spent one day of their work to "give back“ by fixing bugs for KIWIX - Wikipedia offline. To give you an impression on what has been worked on: Thanks to Googler Mat, the KIWIX Android App now has a new feature where people can just select a specific part of a Wikipedia offline article and ask the app to read this extraction to them outloud (TTS). Furthermore Googler Arvind hast managed to make sophisticated physics assignments from PhETS available offline via KIWIX.
|04.07.2015||Wikipedia Atelier||Swiss National Library|
|15.08.2015||Festicabale Meet Up||Geneva|
|29.08.2015||Wikipedia Atelier||Cantonal Library Thurgau in Frauenfeld|
|29.08.2015||Wiki Takes Biel/Bienne Photo Expedition||City Library Biel/Bienne|
Make.opendata.ch Research Hackday:
On June 5th & 6th, the association Opendata.ch hosted their first Open Research Data Hackathon, in parallel with the ETH in Zurich and the FORS in Lausanne. In case you want to know more about it, please visit their wiki available here.