Please find Wikimedia CH's newsletter for the month of August.
If you wish to share an event or activity through this newsletter, please feel free to send us a message at email@example.com. Have a nice reading!
- 1 Association
- 2 What happened last month?
- 3 Announcements
- 4 List of Coming Events
Katherine Maher (CEO Wikimedia Foundation) on DINACon
Program highlights at DINAcon, German-speaking conference for digital sustainability, on Friday, October 19, 2018 at Welle7 in Bern:
- Hear keynotes from two pioneers of digital sustainability: Katherine Maher (CEO Wikimedia Foundation) and Simon Phipps (President Open Source Initiative).
- Choose two out of over 15 sessions. For example, Ronny Standtke shows us how schools use the open source learning stick (in German) to successfully maintain a "bring your own device" motto. Or see how the SpyPi Hackerbox (in German) teaches students the risks of hacker technology and methods.
All further information and the registration can be found here.
September campaign around EU copyright reform
The Communications committee of the Wikimedia Foundation reports:
- As many of you may recall, in July several Wikimedia communities participated in a campaign opposing controversial European Union legislation intended to reform online copyright laws. That legislation was defeated, but is back for a second vote on September 13, 2018.
- Beginning this week, many communities are once again engaging in this issue as a part of our ongoing efforts to protect collaboration and the free exchange of information, history, and culture online. Below is some information which can help your community engage with this multinational effort.
- Wikimedia Foundation Board Chair, María Sefidari, has authored an editorial outlining our position on these reform efforts. We invite you to share this with your community, interested partners, and press contacts. Additionally, we welcome your feedback on the translations and copy edits to improve them. Editorial on Medium:
- A number of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation have worked on an informational web page. This multilingual page provides additional information on our position, resources for communities organizing around this effort, and ways for individuals to get involved by contacting elected officials in the European Union. (additional engagement methods will be available on September 5).
- Finally, community organizers on social media are utilizing the hashtag #FixCopyright when sharing the above or sending out some of the messages provided on the web page. We encourage folks to utilize this hashtag (in their language) to help bring attention to this effort and raise awareness amongst the elected officials and press.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to share them on this list. I also want to encourage you to join the public policy mailing list if you are interested in these efforts.
- Gregory Varnum, Communications Strategist, Wikimedia Foundation
Original text, also avaiable in French.
What happened last month?
Zurich Wikidata Hackathon
The Zurich Wikidata Hackathon has been held at the University of Zurich the 8th Semptember. It is the second Wikidata Hackathon in Switzerland but the first one was organized inside a bigger event.
The participants (around 20) were organized around 7 challenges and they had around 6 hours to solve the challenge.
It's possible to read comments in https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wikidatazhhack&src=typd using the #wikidatazhhack.
Zurich Wikidata meetup
14 participants were able to look in detail how to consult Wikidata using SPARL but also how to use and integrate Wikidata in their tools.
Writing atelier at PTT
A special page for our occasion in the PTT-Archiv (in German) in Köniz on August 25th describes the goals we followed when writing. The work was continued on September 8th at the SBB Historic (German) in Windisch near Brugg. It is about topics on the 100th anniversary of the national strike and flu epidemic. The documents to be seen on der Sonderseite are all uploaded to commons and can be used for article work. Two weeks later, they continued their work at SBB Historic.
Wiki Loves Monuments
This year Wikimedia Switzerland will suport again the organization of Wiki Loves Monuments. After a long period where Wiki Loves Earth was prefered to Wiki Loves Monumnets, this year Swizerland is back to the big photo contest which at the moment still the biggest worl wide photo contest.
Take time to upload your photos and have a look at the page of the project: [[:commons:Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Switzerland|Wiki Loves Monuments Switzerland].
Writing contest on German-speaking Wikipedia
Already for the 29th time, the writing contest, which is declared dead again and again, will be held. Articles can be nominated until 30th September. Until the end of October, the winners will be determined and published by an independent jury. The winners can look forward to attractive prizes. Wikimedia CH is also one of the sponsors. We hope for many interesting articles. Project page
Writing atelier at Vögele Kulturzentrum in Pfäffikon SZ
On Saturday, September 29th, in collaboration with the Vögele Culture Center (in German; fr:Charles Vögele (in French)), a writing studio will be held. This weekend the exhibition concludes Good is not enough? Why do we ask so much about us?, A topic that concerns all of us. But the exhibition is just one aspect of a possible work on this day. On the project page for the writing studio (German) we have shown many other possibilities to participate. Interested people who have not written in Wikipedia are also welcome. Please register until September, 19th.
WikiCon St. Gallen
From the October 5th-7th we will held the annual German-speaking Wikimedia Conference WikiCon 2018 in St. Gallen. At the beginning of September there are already more than 200 registrations. The program is finished and due to the generous amount of space available it leaves room for spontaneous lightning talks (10 minutes each). The opening speech on Friday will be given by Cristina Sarasua from ETH Zurich. We hope to have everything prepared so that our guests feel comfortable. Wikimedia CH as host and WMDE as organizer hope for exciting days with many new impulses for the participants.
Paleontology project with Museum of Natural History Neuchâtel
WikiCite registrations still open
WikiCite registrations still open until Monday, 17th September!
List of Coming Events
This table contains the upcoming events until the delivery of our next newsletter and some important events later this year. Some more events – also from like-minded organissations you will find in the WMCH calendar.
|20th – 23th September 2018||WikiDACH 2018||DEZERNAT 16, Emil-Maier-Straße 16, Heidelberg, Germany||Traveling and accomodation will be supported by Wikimedia CH|
|25th – 26th September 2018||Plamatsu||University of Freibourg/Fribourg||Atelier with reserchears about material inspired to plants|
|27th – 28th September 2018||Media in Piazza||Mercato coperto, Mendrisio||Workshop with schools|
|29th September 2018, 9.30 AM – 6.00 PM||Writing atelier at Vögele Kultur Zentrum||Vögele Kultur Zentrum, Pfäffikon, Gwattstrasse 14, SZ||open workshop; newbees are welcome.|
|29th September 2018||ZH Stammtisch||Hotel/ Restaurant Schiff, Unterdorfstrasse 21, 8808 Freienbach, SZ||moved to Pfäffikon/ Freienbach because of Writing atelier|
|5th - 7th October 2018||WikiCon 2018; German-speaking Wiki-Convention||St. Gallen, SG|
|13th October 2018||Editathon in Verbania||Istituto per lo studio degli ecosistemi, Verbania (Italy)|
|19th October 2018||DINACon, Bern||German-speaking conference for digital sustainability|
|28th October 2018||Aktionstag Wikipedia 2018||Zürich, ZH|