Wikimedia Conference 2010/Developers' Workshop/Topic brainstorms/Pre-workshop brainstorming list
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pre Workshop Brainstorming
Informal list of things we can maybe cover. Of course we'll have brainstorming sessions once we all arrive, but this list serves as a place to just jot ideas for now (so you don't forget them in a month).
- New-installer/schema abstraction
- "Support collation by a certain locale (sorting order of characters)" in all pages list and when listing categories. Trying to find a sustainable solution for localized sort orders for i) new wiki installations ii) when upgrading
- Bring after years subcategories to the begin of a category ([http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Buildings_in_Dresden example).
- Developing a framework for libraries of the world and others to obtain subscriptions (with ISBN number) of yearly snapshots of WMF wikis including images e.g. in form of Blu-ray disks or harddisks (background: WMF wikis as prior art with publication dates beyond any doubt)
- Developing an enhanced extension of DumpHTML which allows to store MediaWiki dumps including images on different filesystems (Linux, Windows, CD/DVD ISO) with solution for "non-ASCII" filenames
- Develop someting like Collection, but then to create image packs.
- Follow up to the metadata discussion started in Paris.
- discussing the migration from wikibits.js et al. to jQuery.
- Testing user interface with Selenium
- NeilK will have some new multimedia upload interfaces to demo; feedback welcome
- Overhaul of the deletion schema
- Discuss possible OpenID/OAuth implementation for Wikimedia sites
- I'm still looking for someone to maintain or re-write FlickrLickr, a Flickr photo review tool that has been used to upload more than 10,000 CC-BY photos to Commons.--Eloquence 21:33, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
- Trevor Parscal will have lots of user experience stuff to talk about.
- What going on: Wikimedia-OpenStreetMap cooperation? Do some concrete things.
- Who is interested to make a map session?
- Support for ZoomViewer-Gadget (viewer for huge images on commons)
- Easter eggs!
- Better communication workflow for upcoming sitechanges/software updates etc.
- Central notice system
- finishing ZIM integration for regular ZIM file export (see http://openzim.org/Roadmap)
- discuss MediaWiki extension for manual ZIM file export (see http://openzim.org/Google_Sommer_of_Code_2010#Idea_1:_MediaWiki_extension_to_create_ZIM_files)
Access-Control-Allow-Originto add SUL autologin to *.wikimedia.org wikis on browsers that support it, see 
- Find a way to maintain Commonist and improved it (date and geocoords from exif-datas, more options, ...).
- Talk about GSoC this year
- Someone needs to improve the basic search on commons - search for licenses and metadata (even before any larger-scale rewrite)
- images with licenses suited for worldwide distribution