9 Re-imagine Wikimedia movement
tl;dr: Actually, hard to summarize. The vision for 2040 is quite blurry, Wikimedia with much more impact, completely integrated. For 2025 Wikimedia will have an huge impact on Education and Society. For 2017, Wikimedia won't change too much, still tackling the same questions, but there will be a complete shift to mobile editing. Furthermore, we all will have visited Armenia.
- See Chapters Dialogue/Six big questions/What do we want to achieve? for a sorted and grouped list of items mentioned.
- 2040: It was too far to get a picture, but there were some interesting things: Wikimedia [Wikipedia] gets a public good, it's *one* thing, it will have a huge technical background. Leadership in international decision making, the Movement as a big player and part of the establishment. Wikimedia-Projects will be accessable for all people all over the world. The international decision making is influenced.
- 2025: Still complicated, but the Movement a big player in Education, accepted as a resource and promoter of educational resources, the Movement being still in movements, no really clear frames
- 2017: Not too many changes, actually. We will still tackle the same questions. We will have definitions for the different movement organisations.
- 2017: A complete shift to mobile editing, editing will be more fun and more recognised. A shift in creating new ideas, more fun in contributing, grants will be more individuell
- 2025: Unification & Stability of the social meme, unifying the name spaces of the sister projects. Multiple versions of one article (in languages as views). Wikipedia will become a norm and a protocoll
- 2040: IDs of every content, having more legal impact, better copyright (+50), unifcation of laws
- 2017: people will be nicer, much more depth of trust, more consensus about approaches. More chapters, Wikidata will have impact, a tool for translation that is editor controlled with multiple choices. Wikipedia will be much more a pedagogical tool. Review of project landscape. Increase in readership (1 bn readers). Structure training and development. Ownership about the international development. WMF will be no longer the nexus. More intl cooperation, more innovative, and we should know why we're doing this
- 2025: Wikipedia will in every space tech and educational site, there will be educational institutions using tools which are wikipediua bases, there will be sustainability in the communty, there will representation in every country, strong resarch, Wikidata will be base of many translation tools, crisis of quality of sources, there will be Wikipedia Glass
- 2040: the Movement will be totally different, because the need will be totally different. Key questions about language (language preservaty, ...), Wikidata will be the primary database for that. Wikidata primary for new source and biggest Database in the world, Wikimedia will be working in languages. The rules for the movement might be completely different
- 2017: All of us will have visited Armenia + Susanna, where the majority of editors are women, 1000 Wikipedians in Residence via GLAM
- 2025: primary source for search, teachers will know, how to use Wikipedia in school, 400 Language Versions; edit wars, but no real wars
- 2040: Wikipedia will be integrated in all parts of society, automatic translation
- 2040: Wikipedia globe will be complete! Access to information is a civil right. Very effective medium, better accessibility of the human network behind Wikimedia
- 2025: Advocacy + Lobbying for free knowledge (even important than saving our projects), a more cultural approach to our projects (more oral knowledges e.g.,)
- 2017: all children will have access to information, core businnes still gaining volunteers, we should become mainstream, good tools for user experience, good welcoming culture, healthy community in all regards, incl good integration of volunteers & paid staff; there should be a creative commons standard for open data, freedom of panorama in many countries