Wikimedia Polska/Plans for 2016
Plans of Wikimedia Polska for 2016
The following plans are written as a starting point for talks with the Wikimedia Foundation about allowing us, Stowarzyszenie Wikimedia Polska, to use the central- and site-notice banners on Polish Wikimedia projects for our 1%-tax deductible donations collecting campaign or to be able to link our fundraising page from the main fundraising site of Wikimedia Foundation between February 1st and April 30th, 2016.
The plans are based on a preliminary budget for 2015/2016 approved by the General Assembly  of Wikimedia Polska with some updates approved by The Board of Wikimedia Polska.
As it is shown in our report, the main source of income for Wikimedia Polska are 1% tax deductible donations. According to the Polish tax law, Polish taxpaying individuals can choose one and only one NGO with a tax deductible status to donate it with 1% of their income tax. This is conducted via an income tax form, which taxpayers have to fill each year between January 15 and April 30, submitting it to their local tax office, and does not bring any additional costs nor difficulties for donors. See our 2011 chapter report for more details regarding this system.
Be reminded that this system can be used by a Polish entity only - potential Polish donors can only support WMF by their non-tax-deductible donations. Moreover, the tax-deductible status needs to be recognized by Polish state and Wikimedia Polska meets this obligation.
In 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 Wikimedia Polska and Wikimedia Foundation had an agreement – similar to the general fundraising agreement for chapters but slightly adjusted to a unique situation in Poland.
Content creation projects
- Wikiexpedition(s) - 20,000 PLN
- Wikiexpedition is an expedition exploring one of the regions of Poland in order to gather documentation (especially photographic) concerning the chosen area. The first Wikiexpedition took place in 2008 and since then it has been subsequently repeated, producing around 3000-5000 pictures a year. In 2016 we plan to make one regular and one Railways expedition.
- Wiki Photo Contests - 50,000 PLN
- Wiki Loves Monuments contest was organized in Poland in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. In 2015 we switched to Wiki Loves Earth with moderate success. For 2016 we plan to organize one big, general photo contest, either WLM or WLE (it is not decided yet). We also plan to join Wiki Loves Science in 2016.
- Wikigrants - 25,000 PLN
- Wikigrants is our local micro-grant system which started in 2006 and proved to be effective. The typical submissions are for 100-500 PLN (25-125 USD), mainly to buy books needed for writing articles or to reimburse costs of travel to the museums and archives. The 10th edition of the wikigrants proved to be very effective. We want to continue the project in the 11th edition. See .
- "Aktorskie interpretacje Baczyńskiego" - 6000 PLN
- Krzysztof Kamil Baczyński, one of the most famous Polish 20th century poets, perished in 1944, which means that in 2015 the copyright on his works have expired. We created a project to record his selected poems with the help of professional and semi-professional actors in a professional studio. In the first batch 22 poems about World War II were recorded, and then 21 of his love poems, less known to the public, will be added. The first batch has been already uploaded to Commons , the second set is about to be recorded in 2016.
- GLAM coordinator budget - 75,000 PLN
- We have hired a GLAM coordinator at the end of 2014, who expanded our GLAM cooperation enourmously (from 7 to 20 active projects). In 2016 we plan to continue and expand GLAM projects. Among others: we want to continue our cooperation with the National Museum in Warsaw, State Etnographic Museum, State Archive in Łódź, European Solidarity Centre, Museum of Art in Łódź and many others. See: .
- Reserve for new ideas - 24,000 PLN
- Every year Polish Wikimedians present their new ideas for content creation projects. For example, in 2014 the idea of recording fairly-tales appeared and were approved by the Board. As already in 2014, some new proposals on a very early stage have been presented and we keep motivating the community to present their ideas, more to come should be expected. Therefore we need to provide some funds to be ready to finance such novel initiatives.
- Total - 200,000 PLN
- Wikiworkshops - 10,000 PLN
- Wikimedia Polska provides wikiworkshops for target groups of potential editors. In 2012, 9 Wikiworkshops were organized; in 2013 - 14 and in 2014 - 16 of them; in 2015 over 20, so we expect to have around 25 wikiworkshops in 2016. The costs of Wikiworkshops are: a travel reimbursement for trainers and sometimes cost of hiring the venue.
- Thematic weeks contest - 10,000 PLN
- Thematic weeks contest started in 2014 and was continued successfully in 2015. The idea is to support Wikipedians creating good articles by buying them books useful for writing Wikipedia articles as prizes for their active participation in Wikipedia's Thematic Weeks. See more .
- POTY/WLM exhibition continuation - 1,000 PLN
- The POTY mobile exhibition was introduced in 2011. The printed reproductions of winning pictures from the years 2006-2014 are presented in publicly accessible places across Poland in order to promote Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia. In 2012-2015 it was presented in 25 Polish cities, and proved to be a good promotion and outreach event. However, in last year, the exhibition was presented in 2 places only and it seems that the "market" for them is saturated. Therefore, in 2016 we want to keep small reserve for this and slowly fade out the project.
- CEE Spring 2016 - 10,000 PLN
- Polish edition of CEE Spring 2015 contest was a moderate success. It was organised in similar way as our own Thematic Weeks i.e. every week people wrote articles about selected countries from CEE region. In 2016 we plan to join CEE Spring in its new, improved, version.
- Professional PR/press officer - 90,000 PLN
- In 2014 we hired our press officer and PR specialist in order to professionally organize our relations with the media and effectively maintain all our PR issues, including our communication with communities. In 2015 they continued their work moving our PR to a new level. Therefore we want to continue the project for 2016.
- Production of leaflets/brochures/gadgets - 20,000 PLN
- We regularly produce various brochures, leaflets and gadgets such as pens, T-shirts, bags etc. which are used as a promotional material during conferences, meetings, workshops, POTY exhibition etc. We produced a lot of them at the end of 2014 - so expect to spend less on them during 2015.
- ProWikimedia awards - 10 000 PLN
- ProWikimedia is an award for the projects and volunteers of Wikimedia Polska. It was organized in 2015 with good results. The aim of the award was to keep our volunteers inspired and to encourage them to start new initiatives. We want to organize again in 2016. The main cost are prizes for winners.
- External conferences/meetings - 5,000 PLN
- We regularly receive invitations to various external conferences and meetings, therefore we want to reserve some money for this purpose.
- Reserve for new ideas - 4,000 PLN
- Total - 150,000 PLN
- Winter Polish Wikimedia retreat and 15 anniversary of Polish Wikipedia - 20,000 PLN
- We are about to reestablish our winter meetings - which are not a regular conference but rather a mix of workshops and discussion panels about future of Polish Wikipedia and its sister projects. It will be also accompanied by 15th anniversary of Polish Wikipedia. The anniversary celebration will take place in Zachęta Art Galery in Warsaw, after which Wikipedians will travel to hotel "Mroga" located in small village near Lodz for a weekend retreat meeting. We expect 60-70 participants for our anniversary event and 40 for the retreat meeting.
- Polish Wikimedia Annual Conference - 40,000 PLN
- Polish Wikimedia Annual Conference is about to be organized for the 11th time. This is the main meeting of Polish Wikimedians as well as invited guests from other open-content organizations and Wikimedians from neighboring countries. Usually 100 people attend the conference.
- Public Domain Day - 5,000 PLN
- Public Domain Day is a meeting organized by the Coalition for Open Education of which Wikimedia Polska is an active member. The meeting is about celebrating the end of copyright protection of works of people who passed away 70 years ago and it is a part of the World Public Domain Day celebration. It is attended by many people from GLAM organizations, journalists, and similar. Wikimedia Polska traditionally covers part of the costs of the meeting. In 2016 it is about to be organized on January 28th in the National Library in Warsaw.
- Local meetings - 10,000 PLN
- Every year there are several local Wikipedian meetings organized spontaneously. Wikimedia Polska traditionally supports such meetings by covering costs of space and catering.
- Coalition for Open Education summer meeting - 5,000 PLN
- Coalition for Open Education (KOED) is a group of 24 organizations working together on issues such as open content, free-licensed educational materials etc, of which Wikimedia Polska is a founding member. In 2014 and 2015 there was a summer-camp meeting of representatives of KOED which was quite successful. We want to organize this also in 2016.
- Total - 80,000 PLN
- Wikimania scholarships - 50,000 PLN
- As in previous years, we want to donate several scholarships for Wikimania - both for Polish and foreign wikimedians. The number of the scholarships will depend of the cost of the conference and travel.
- Support for Free Knowledge Advocacy Group (EU) and scholarships to Brussels - 15,000 PLN
- We decided to financially support Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU  office in Brussels (2000 EUR) and also support 2-3 scholarships for volunteers visiting the office (3 x 500 EUR).
- Total - 65,000 PLN
- Office/wages (renting office space, equipment, Internet access, phone bills, legal advice, audit etc) - 85,000 PLN
- Other (domains, server, travels of employees and board members etc.) - 65,000 PLN
- Total - 150,000 PLN
Overall planned budget
|Name||Amount (PLN)||Amount (USD)||%|
|Promotion/outreach||150 000||37 500||23.25|
|Conferences/meetings||80 000||20 000||12,4|
|International support||65 000||16 250||10.1|
|Operational||150 000||37 500||23.25|
|Total||645 000||161 250||100|