Newly registered user
A newly registered user is a user who has signed up for an account and has logged in to a Wikimedia project. In addition to what an unregistered user can do, a newly registered user can:
- create new articles
- set preferences
- register pages for "watching"
- upload files such as pictures, sounds, etc.
- mark edits as Minor
- create their own user page
- Move root user pages
- Use of the write API
The full list of rights for all levels is available at Special:ListGroupRights.
All edits made as a newly registered user will show the user name in the history instead of an IP address.
Newly registered users cannot edit semi-protected pages or move any page. Several other minor restrictions, depending on the wiki, may apply to newly-registered users.
- Per bug 12556, media uploads are an autoconfirmed right on most wikis, Commons being a notable exception.
- Moreover, a very small minority of wikis requires autoconfirmed to create new pages: en.wiki (since 2005, "as an experiment", because of the Seigenthaler incident), id.wiki, fa.wiki and es.books as of 2011. Note that, based on better social and statistical scrutiny of its effects, the community has decided to stop expansion of this configuration to other wikis, see Limits to configuration changes.
- On all wikis, newly registered users editing from the same IP address can't do more than 8 edits per minute all combined (technical details: $wgRateLimits). This can sometimes be a problem if you're creating and/or using several new accounts from a single location (e.g. for workshops).
As of June 12, 2008, the autoconfirmed limits on the majority of wikis is four days with no edit count requirement. ar.wiki, en.wiki, and es.wiki have a minimum number of edits to reach autoconfirmed status. de.wikibooks requires seven days to reach autoconfirmed status.
See also 
|Local:||blocked user – unregistered user – newly-registered user – registered user – bot – administrator – bureaucrat – oversight – checkuser – IP block exempt – importer – centralnotice admin|
|Global:||locked account – unified account – bot – rollbacker – abuse filter editor – interface editor – IP block exemption – new wiki importers – sysop – ombudsman – founder – staff – system administrator – steward|