An importer is a user with import rights, generally speaking.
On Wikimedia wikis, there are two kinds of importers:
- transwiki importers can perform only transwiki import (
- importers can perform both transwiki and upload import (
These flags are enabled on all wikis, but can be assigned only by stewards after a request on Steward requests/Permissions (especially the import flag which includes the
importupload right which is particularly dangerous) and only on a temporary basis for a specific task, unless the project has a local process and policy to assign permanent import rights. Very few projects need and have such a policy including
- MediaWikiWiki (mw:Project:Importers, mw:Project:Transwiki importers).
Wikis where bureaucrats can assign import rights 
On some wikis local bureaucrats (or sysops) can assign and remove import rights. Their list is in the Table below.
|1||simplewiki||bug 23988||16.06.2010||See also bug 23462|
|2||enwikibooks||bug 24304||15.08.2010||Assigned and removed by local sysops|
|3||nowiki||bug 21041||17.12.2009||Assigned by local sysops and removed by bureaucrats|
|Transwiki and importer|
|7||incubatorwiki||?||06.04.2011||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
- Besides transwiki importers, the 'import' userright is assigned by default to sysops on all Mediawiki projects and to the 'botadmin' and 'editinterface' groups in some projects.
- Although transwiki import may require requesting wiki configuration changes to enable import from the wiki you're interested in (import source).
|Local:||blocked user – unregistered user – newly-registered user – registered user – bot – administrator – bureaucrat – oversight – checkuser – IP block exempt – importer – centralnotice admin|
|Global:||locked account – unified account – bot – rollbacker – abuse filter editor – interface editor – IP block exemption – new wiki importers – sysop – ombudsman – founder – staff – system administrator – steward|